cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.13 unusable

mdougc
Enthusiast

Win10, Intel i7, 32GB memory, 10TB disk, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080

I have been using DPP for about 10 years. 

Now, every time I start it and access a folder of photos, it goes to "Not responding"

I have to use Task Manager to halt the program. After that I cannot restart it until I reboot.

I tried uninstalling the software and then performing a complete re-install of freshly downloaded software.  

It did not help.

How do I do a complete uninstall, including all cache files, Registtry settings, etc??

Or is there something else to try.

I need this program to process dual pixel raw.

Thank you

mDougC
Wildlife photographer - EOS R, R5 many lenses, LR Classic, Topaz, necessary gadgets
7 REPLIES 7

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I recall a couple of years ago that I ran into this issue with DPP doing this with a particular folder which had a file in it DPP didn't like.  Does it do this with every folder?  When I had the issue I had to move the offending folder because DPP would try to open it by default every time and then lock up.

The current version is 4.13.1, do you have the .1 update? 

I have noticed a temporary not responding when using DPP on my HP Z840 when it has access to the networked drives on my HP Z820 but it is only an intermittent one or two second pause and then it behaves normally.  I recall others have reported issues when using networked drives with DPP so if you have a local network with additiona networked drives set up at your home see if that is the issue by temporarily shutting it down.

I haven't had any issues with any of the recent versions of DPP.  I am running it on a HP Z840 workstation with Win 10 pro, twin Xeon 3.4 ghz. 6 core CPUs, twin Nvidia Quadro workstation graphics cards.  

Unfortunately DPP never seems to make significant use of Nvidia Cuda cores even though it supposedly uses them, I have yet to see a version of DPP that takes the GPU over the usual 1 to 3 percent background load.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@mdougc wrote:

Now, every time I start it and access a folder of photos, it goes to "Not responding"

I have to use Task Manager to halt the program. After that I cannot restart it until I reboot.

I tried uninstalling the software and then performing a complete re-install of freshly downloaded software.  

It did not help.

How do I do a complete uninstall, including all cache files, Registtry settings, etc??

Thank you

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but if you want to do a complete uninstall the free IOBit Uninstaller will clean up everything.

When I had a persistent DPP problem I used IOBit and then followed up with free CCleaner registry tool.

There is also a free Windows tool that supposedly does the same; I haven't used it.

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed (microsoft.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

AndrewYu
Apprentice

I just downloaded and installed DPP 4 and have same problem.

I primarily need DPP to convert to tiff for old version of Lightroom (no annual fee) and Luminar AI.

I browsed internet and this problem has been ongoing for some over last 2 years.

If you just want to convert a RAW file for use with Lightroom yoiu can download the Adobe DNG Converter and convert your Canon camera RAW files to DNG. Then you can use your version of LR.

I don't know if Luminar will read DNG files, but if not you could open the DNG in LR and use Edit in to transfer to Luminar.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mdougc wrote:

It did not help.

Thank you

The "Not Respodning" message in Task Manager merely means the application is busy on a single task, not that the application has necessarily crashed.  How many images do you have in this folder that causes DPP to seemingly hang?  

Windows is "Interrupt Driven", which means when you click on something you interrupt whatever the CPU was doing, and it responds to your mouse click.  Some of the tasks that an application may execute do not respond to "interrupts" or key clicks, such as the actual act of writing a file to a disk.  You would not want to interrupt that process, anyway.

If the app has to browse through a a large number of files, it will may not respond to interrupts, either.  One of those interrupts can be the Task Manager performing a wellness check.  The Task Manager knocks on the door, the app is too busy to respond, and the Task Manager reports "Not Responding" back to you.

In other words, in many scenarios if you wait for the app to finish its' current process, whatever that may be, it will begin respond to key clicks and system interrupts from apps like the Task Manager.

One of the major faults of DPP is that it does not keep track of your images in a separate file.  Every time you start it up, it seems to want to browse your entire hard drive searching for image files to display for you in preview.  

I have not really used DPP in years, not since it was release 3.xx, but it used to use the default directory for Windows Media Player as the first place it looks.  Change the default folder for Windows Media Player to one that does not contain any media files.  This worked for me.  Never give DPP the chance to start hunting through a folder with a large number of image files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

With 4.13 I had some crash too, but I thought it was due to the poor computer specs, I am trying it on a 4Gb RAM DDR2 Pentium Dual core 2.5Ghz, Nvidia 710GT with graphics acceleration option enabled. 
I recently Update from Vista to Windows 10 professional this legacy machine and installed some software to check if everything works fine.
Guess what, not a problem with any other time but with DPP sometimes the program "vanish" after the lock screen or suspend happens.

When it happens if I go with task manager I need to kill all the DPPmain by choosing kill process tree, not the normal kill before being able to start it again, or to restart the computer than fortunately does not take that long since I put an SSD.
However this morning I installed 4.14 and since then I never had an issue...Maybe it is worth of trying the new update.

@alexpilion wrote:

With 4.13 I had some crash too, but I thought it was due to the poor computer specs, I am trying it on a 4Gb RAM DDR2 Pentium Dual core 2.5Ghz, Nvidia 710GT with graphics acceleration option enabled. 
I recently Update from Vista to Windows 10 professional this legacy machine and installed some software to check if everything works fine./
Guess what, not a problem with any other time but with DPP sometimes the program "vanish" after the lock screen or suspend happens.

When it happens if I go with task manager I need to kill all the DPPmain by choosing kill process tree, not the normal kill before being able to start it again, or to restart the computer than fortunately does not take that long since I put an SSD.
However this morning I installed 4.14 and since then I never had an issue...Maybe it is worth of trying the new update.

Canon does not support runniing on upgraded operating systems.  Only original native installations are supported.  

BTW, I did not know it was even possible to run Windows 10 on hardware designed for Windows Vista.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements