cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing color of one object in DPP4?

stevet1
Authority
Authority

Let's say I have two objects in a photo. Both of them are red. Is it possible in DPP4 to change the color of just one of those objects, while leaving the other one unaffected?

Steve Thomas

8 REPLIES 8

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

There is no practical way to do this with DPP, you will need Photoshop or one of the similar editing programs for this type of task.  I subscribe to Adobe creative cloud but I expect there is a free/shareware program that will likely do what you need.

I like DPP and just edited over 1,400 images from a football game using nothing but DPP but it isn't designed for that sort of image characteristics change.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Roger,

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Steve Thomas

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

I suggest gimp free software for this purpose. I save a 16 bit TIFF from DPP and load it into gimp.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hey there, Steve!

I'm not sure this is what you were looking for, but you can change a few characteristics of something you have applied a mask to. It's limited in that you can't "replace colors", but you can change a few things. Click the "Adjust specific areas" menu and see if it will help. You can see from my attachment your options. You can have up to 5 masks. I find this tool very useful at times.

DPP 4 Adjust Area-1a.jpg

Newton

Newton,

Thanks. I've used that a couple of times to change the brightness of objects (like overexposed grassy areas), but I don't think you can use it to alter the saturation or hue of the color of specific objects. (I might be wrong about that though).

Steve Thomas

Steve,

Hue and Saturation are two of the four options.

Newton

Newton,

Huh.

I'll take a look at that.

Steve

Comparatively, it's not the easiest tool to use as you just have one nib, and it takes some messing with to adjust if you are using a mouse or touchpad. I use a medium Waycom drawing pad, and the pen allows me to be more precise. If I have very complicated edits, I take it into one of my "paid" programs that have better nib, selection methods, and eraser tool to clean up the mask.

If the tool in DPP 4 had an eraser to clean up when you go off the subject, it would be much better, IMO. But I still find it useful on occasion 🙂

Newton

Announcements