cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R10 - Red color showing orange

jpolisel
Contributor

I'm an amateur and could be doing amateur mistake, please bear with me.

I went to a car show, took pictures up close with my EOS R10, all of the red cars were pictured in orange-red tone not a strong and vibrant red. I tried changing picture style from Auto to every other option and it didn't work. I tried to increase saturation manually, but results were still very subpar. I took a picture with my phone, and colors were accurate.

On the R10 I used Fv mode, and I used only exposure compensation, everything else "Auto", the event was outdoors around noon, and it was a sunny day.

How can I avoid this issue next time?

I was researching about Color Checkr24, but it says to produce "HSL profile" and I couldn't confirm if Canon DPP can import that. Also, I'm not sure if this is the way I should go. I appreciate any guidance, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Look at the histogram, you probably blew out the red channel. You need to lower the exposure a few stops.

You can choose an RGB histogram in order to look for this in the future:

Untitled.jpg

Thank you! Didn't think that something like this could happen.

I've got the RAW files, found in DPP how to change histogram to RGB and it does look red is blow, also when I hover over the picture in the car's paint, I see Red value almost always 255.

stevet1
Authority
Authority

jpolisel,

Another thing to look at is what White Balance you were using. For outdoors on a sunny day, try a White Balance around 5200K. That should be close to the Daylight Preset on your camera.

Steve Thomas

I had the white balance set to Auto, then I changed to Daylight at some point as a test to see if it would help with the orange-red issue, it helped but by a tiny bit, also I noticed the difference later at the computer, in the camera viewfinder under I barely noticed any difference.

Then I switch back to auto because I was taking pictures under direct sunlight and also under shadow.

Announcements