cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AfterShot Pro 3 and RAW files

mangurian
Rising Star

I really like the capabilities of Corel AfterShot Pro 3.  I have been unable to make it load Canon Raw (CR2) files.  Has anyone out there suceeded in doing that ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is not so much that the .CR2's are camera specific, just that you need to know info about the camera in order to interpret the RAW file. For example, It could be that a particular sensor's bayer array starts with a green pixel in the upper left corner, while another sensor starts with a blue pixel. You obviously have to know that in order to properly develop the RAW file.

If you *know* that the sensors are identical, you can sometimes fake out the development software by simply renaming the camera in the EXIF data. This *might* have worked when Canon had a bajillion cameras that used the same18MP sensor.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Aftershot Pro uses FOSS Lensfun for lens corrections. Perhaps it also uses an open raw decoder like RawSpeed? If that is the case, then you can just edit a text file. You should ask the Aftershot Pro developers.

Here's what I did:

1. get an exif editor
2. get a Canon RAW file that works in After Shot. (from your other camera or ask someone to email one)
3. Locate the camera names in both the working and non-working files.
4. Use the editor to change the non-working name to the working name (identical # spaces etc)

When I was doing this, there were exif editors that would do the changes in batch.  They were not free. I don't know what's available 6 years later.

After 6(!) years, I would expect that the cameras are supported or not. I would ask Corel. It is stated later in this thread how to change the name in the EXIF via EXIFtool.

As also stated, DPP is the least resistance path.

@kvbarkley wrote:

After 6(!) years, I would expect that the cameras are supported or not. I would ask Corel. It is stated later in this thread how to change the name in the EXIF via EXIFtool.

As also stated, DPP is the least resistance path.

As far as I know, the last update to AfterShot Pro 3 was in January of 2021 ( ver. 3.7.0.446). However, you can still get camera profiles by using the "Get More" flyout along the right side of the editing panel. The list includes a lot of cameras. It's kind of odd in that it will list just the series of some and specifically call out the "mark XX" of others, like the T6 profile covers all three cameras in the T6 series.

The back story on AfterShot Pro and why I have it (although I don't use it a lot) is it is built on an old Linux program called Bibble, which I used back in the day. Corel (now Aludo) acquired it sometime after 2011 and updated the GUI and added a few features. I've found it to be very capable, especially at the price point.

I have many Raw, raster, and vector editors but primarily use DPP for Canon Raw files.

Newton

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

This sounds like a lot of work. Canon's DPP is free.  If you're paying for software, there's DxO Photo Lab. Adobe Lightroom, CaptureOne, Affinity Pro, Topaz...  And others. All of these will read .CR2 files for the majority of cameras out there without the need to batch edit your EXIF data.  Many of them have lens profiles too.  I'm just offering this suggestion as an alternative since batch editing EXIF data just adds another step in your workflow. Maybe you've already considered this.  Just seems like a lot of work for being able to use a $63 application.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

After testing options, I went with Photolab a years back.  It has the best optical corrections (mainly I think because it calibrates camera/lens pairs, not just lenses) .  I then pass the output to Photoshop. Back in 2018 many new cameras/lenses were not supported by anyone in a timely manner (timely from a user's not a developer's perspective) and that's when I would sometimes edit and EXIF.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I thought I recognized your screen name from the DxO community too.  🙂

DxO and DPP are my preferred editors.  I got hooked back in 2017 because I owned a large number of third-party lenses.  I'm all Canon now, but have stayed with them because of deep prime and familiarity with the interface

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements