cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery charging in the field: LP-E19 and LP-E6NH

Stevo1
Apprentice

Hi, I wonder if someone could give me some advice.

I am about to go on a trip to a remote location with no mains power to charge camera batteries.

I am taking an R3 and an R5, so batteries LP-E19 and LP-E6NH. Their respective chargers only have power cables with 3 pin plugs on the end ( I am in the UK).

My options as far as I can see are - 

1) take lots of batteries. Not preferred as too many will ( hopefully) be needed.

2) Power in camera using a power bank ( which I could charge from a solar panel portable unit I guess). Probably the best option? I have a 20,000mAh Veger power bank which I have plugged in to the R3 - it works for about 10 seconds then cuts out. I have tried in camera charging from the mains with the same cable, which works, so I assume the problem is not with the cable or the camera and must be with the power bank. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? If so what type of power bank should I use. Also does anyone have any suggestions about a portable solar panel unit? 

I would prefer to use an external charger to charge the batteries as using in camera charging means I can`t use the camera, but that`s not insurmountable. 

Many thanks for any advice.

5 REPLIES 5

Stevo1
Apprentice

Sorry, just to add to my post above - I have just tried in-camera charging the R5 using the same power bank and it seems to work, so I assume it`s the higher capacity of the R3 battery which is the problem. 

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

I use a Jackery brand power station which has an inverter with AC output.  Solar panel options are available to recharge the power station or it can also be charged from your vehicle.  I use it to power my battery chargers.

The station/inverter to battery charger isn't quite as efficient as directly powering a device from DC but modern inverters and chargers are quite efficient so unless you are in a situation where you are on an extreme power budget I prefer the approach of charging the camera batteries rather than power the device directly which is a bit more protective of your camera and avoids cords to it.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks Rodger, that`s really helpful, I`ll look in to it. 

March411
Rising Star

I use the  ROMOSS Power Bank, 30,000mAh Portable Phone Charger with USB C and plug the charger directly into the power bank. I have two and they have worked pretty well.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

Many thanks, appreciate your input.

Announcements