cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF R800 HD external monitor compatible?

dogwithacamera
Apprentice

I recently got a Vixia HF R800 HD for filming my portfolio work.  I was wondering if the camcorder was compatible with an external monitor connected via the HDMI output to give a live feed preview to show if I am working within the frame.  Connecting a larger monitor via HDMI would help me more than the small display screen that is part of the camera.  Thank you for the help! 

9 REPLIES 9

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I'm not sure.  The manual just made mention that the HDMI output was for playback.  It made no mention that it would output a signal during recording.  As this is a consumer camcorder, I suspect it won't.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

JohnRoland
Apprentice

Hi DWC, I knwo it has only been 2 days since you receivd a response to your quesion about "VIXIA HF R800 HD external monitor compatible", have you made any progress in this? 

My goal is to connect the R800 to an external monitor used to:

a) Display the video to the external monitor during recording;  

a) Or, playback the already recorded video to the external monitor.

If I come across any workable solutions for either of the abiove goals, I will let you know.

Thank you,

JohnRoland

JohnRoland
Apprentice

I found this Canon KB for the Vixia HF G40 but not for the F800. 

Canon Knowledge Base - Connecting to an External Monitor to Playback Movies (VIXIA HF G40 / LEGRIA H...

So it may be that the ability to payback live srtream to an external monitor is beyond the capabilities fo the F800. ) :

JohnRoland

danielrosehill
Enthusiast
You saved me from starting a thread! I've been through all the menus in the Vixia and if there were any way of being able to add a monitor I'm guessing there'd be a setting somewhere. I guess you could use it for playback but that would negate most of the use.

sbccomputer
Apprentice

The HDMI port works during recording, playback and standby. It will not display the on screen prompts like on the 3-inch touchscreen during standby. I use it live stream presentations. You need to use a small flexible wire dongle adapter because that mini HDMI port is easy to break.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Plug it into your TV and see.

RationalRabbit
Apprentice

I have been using several R800's and live mixing. It dawned on me that it would be better to record to each disk and then put them on a timeline and mix later. Unless there's a setting I don't know about, it seems that I cannot record when HDMI is being used< which allows me to monitor the cameras> the may be an "output" setting> i just now tested for a shoot tomorrow and discovered this> if anyone has some insight< that would be great> otherwise i will return after more troubleshooting>

RationalRabbit
Apprentice

After further testing. That appears to be the case - the choice is either save to SD or output to HDMI. I have not been able to do both at the same time.

Juddgment
Apprentice

I had this same need.  I tested this with an R700, not sure if the specs for this differ with the R800.
I ordered this little Pi monitor:

1.JPG

Just connected it to USB power and the camera's HDMI out.  I have live view and am recording at the same time with no issues.  Not sure if it depends on the display, but it definitely works with the little monitor I linked.

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

Announcements