cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted files from a card

ozymandias87
Apprentice

So I've been through the ringer on this, and realised some of the mistakes I made that got me here, but I'm casting this out to see if anyone may have had this experience and been able to salvage anything.

Using a Canon Vixia HF R800, I have files recorded on a Gigastone 128GB microSD card (I know, I know.) It worked on two previous projects, but halfway through one day of shooting, the files seem to have stopped recording correctly or something. I've got a day and half of video files, all with appropriate sizes, but they just have a Quicktime logo. Neither QT Player nor Preview will open them; VLC will open them, and "play" them, but even though there's a status bar, there's no audio or video, and any attempt to convert/stream outputs a kb-size file that's clearly not correct. I bought "Stellar Video Repair" and it's done nothing. A friend of mine built a droplet encoder a while back, and it's not doing anything either.

It's not the end of the world if I can't get these working (unless the client wants to reshoot, but these were the wide camera) but I'm frustrated as to why they won't go. Obviously there's data there, but the file is either not closed or not opened correctly. I have two other folders that are full of these files, but the attached picture shows that first day of footage where something must have happened in the middle of the day, because the files recorded before that on this card are fine.

The first two files can be found on Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KkJdkgabE8aOTt0iTgUEZHNYPS6DkHOL?usp=sharing

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 5.32.31 PM.png

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ozymandias87 wrote:

So I've been through the ringer on this, and realised some of the mistakes I made that got me here, but I'm casting this out to see if anyone may have had this experience and been able to salvage anything.

Using a Canon Vixia HF R800, I have files recorded on a Gigastone 128GB microSD card (I know, I know.) It worked on two previous projects, but halfway through one day of shooting, the files seem to have stopped recording correctly or something. I've got a day and half of video files, all with appropriate sizes, but they just have a Quicktime logo. Neither QT Player nor Preview will open them; VLC will open them, and "play" them, but even though there's a status bar, there's no audio or video, and any attempt to convert/stream outputs a kb-size file that's clearly not correct. I bought "Stellar Video Repair" and it's done nothing. A friend of mine built a droplet encoder a while back, and it's not doing anything either.

It's not the end of the world if I can't get these working (unless the client wants to reshoot, but these were the wide camera) but I'm frustrated as to why they won't go. Obviously there's data there, but the file is either not closed or not openers  correctly. I have two other folders that are full of these files, but the attached picture shows that first day of footage where something must have happened in the middle of the day, because the files recorded before that on this card are fine.

The first two files can be found on Google Drive here:

You have two problems.  Number one, using micro-SD cards.  Number two, who is Gigastonez/

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As I said, I've been through the ringer, I've realised my mistakes, and I'm not looking for this kind of an answer.

@ozymandias87 wrote:
As I said, I've been through the ringer, I've realised my mistakes, and I'm not looking for this kind of an answer.

You're asking us to tell you what you want to hear. Unfortunately, it probably wouldn't be the truth. It is what it is, and the fact that you've "been through the [w]ringer" and learned your lesson isn't going to make those corrupted files readable.

Waddizzle is one of the more knowledgeable and respected members of this forum. Maybe he can help you, and maybe he can't. But announcing that you don't want to hear what he has to say hardly advances the ball.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Some card makers supply file recovery software. Why not see if GigaStonez does.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Some card makers supply file recovery software. Why not see if GigaStonez does.

DFD7DC3F-5930-4369-8DB0-EE55DD0946F6.jpeg

Gigastone does not provide recovery services or software.  Maybe 3rd party software can work.

I was being a little snarky.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I was being a little snarky.

I know.  Just wanted to let the OP know not to bother with the manufacturer.  They do not support their own products.  He complained about not getting the answer the was looking for.  What was the question?  He never asked one.

ozymandias87
Apprentice
The question is in the first paragraph: has anyone experienced this type of file failure? I have a slew of files that appear to be fully recorded, but are either not closed or didn’t open correctly. I’ve attempted salvaging with VLC, third-party software (Stellar Video Repair) and a droplet encoder, and haven’t had any luck.
What’s making this confusing to me is that I have good files on the card, have used that card for a year, and then in the middle of that day something changed. There was no indication from the camera that there were problems during recording.

I’m not trying to relitigate the use of microSD cards, as that’s been made clear that it isn’t recommended (I have a YMMV approach—I’ve tested all my own gear and been satisfied with my own conclusions.) I’m here to see if anyone who’s more familiar with data corruption and file handling can offer advice as to how to potentially save such files.

rhckm49
Enthusiast

I don't advise to use a Micro SD card and you want to have a full size SD card that has a name such as PNY.

Announcements