cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia Hf M40 won't charge, WHY?

MMG
Apprentice

Canon Vixia HF M40:  = Bad News for me.

I purchased the camera brand new, because it was semi-affordable.
I used the camera maybe 4 times before I packed my home into storage for a year.
When I got back into the camera to film stuff, it worked great for about a week. Or at least thats when the original battery had died, and ready for a charge up.
Then my battery wouldn't hold a charge. It responded as if no signal was being sent in, to aid a charge.
I used both USB directly, and the wall charger to try and get a charge into the battery. Both Failed.....

So I then purchased a pack of brand new batteries, as NONE of them would charge.
Meaning: No charge took place, nor was their any indicator letting me know it received the signal of it being plugged in to the wall power for a charge to take place.

However, if I plug my camera into the wall "Without a battery plugged into the camera", then the camera turns on.
BUT, no batteries will charge up.

I purchased 3 new battery packs total, and none of them work.
And, I no longer have the warrenty, due to how long I have had the camera.
So I spent over $1k thus far for the camera itself, and the batteris, and only got to use the camera less than 10 times = Such a great deal for the consumer.
I just wanted to say Thanks Canon, because it's just like the x-box 360 where they are built to fail, and forces us to buy a brand new one after minimum use.

I went through all your advice forums, and responses to similar stories.
All in which lead back to no real help, except putting the consumer in the pocition to buy something new from you.

When the camera works, I'd rate it a 4.2 Stars out of 5.
BUT; since this is a common manufacture error, and no real solutions given, I will rate this camera at 00 stars.
I'm just pissed because now I can't film Christmas like I was hoping for.
Unless I spend another $500 on repairs or a new camera. I'm super disapointed & bummed!!!!!!

3 REPLIES 3

VideoGeek
Mentor

I know this won't sovle the issue of the battery not charging in the camera  but have you considered or tried an external battery charger?  If it were mine I would be equally bummed out and frustated as well.  I was just looking at another thread on this same issue - "Vixia HF 200 won't charge".

@ VideoGeek: Thanks for the suggestion.
But if I were to try that, then it's basically making me spend even more money, when the fact is, Canon made **bleep**ty product. The reason I wanted this camera, was due to the "Cienema" feature when filming. All the affordable HD cams like GoPro, don't have that feature. Its the only feature on camera's under $1k, that offer a more "pro" feel to the footage. But again, this dam thing won't charge. I had to film Christmas yesterday, by plugging the power adapter into the wall, and leaving it in 1 spot the entire time. The minute I tried to uplug the power chord to see if battery may have captured some charge, the power went off. This camera is a piece of **bleep**, due to this error by Canon. Such a waste of money. 

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi MMG,

I  can understand your frustration.  For assistance with this, I recommend that you Contact our Technical Support Department.  For contact options, please click here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements