cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon HF G30, G50 and G60 Mic/Line Level Input

john83318
Contributor

The HF G30 has a function to toggle the audio input from mic to line level. Is the 20 dB Mic Attenuator function in the G50 and G60 the same or similar enough to use the mic input with 20 dB attenuation on the G50 and G60 with a line-level signal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

john83318
Contributor

I can confirm that enabling the external Mic Attenuator ([Menu]>[Note Icon]>[2]>[MIC Att.]>[On]) allows me to use a Line Level signal in the Microphone Jack on the HF G60. With the Attenuator off there was just horrible, distorted noise. With the Attenuator enabled the signal was clean and worked well. I did this using a line level signal coming from a Behringer X32.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi john83318,

Thanks for checking in with us.

The line that you're referencing on the HF G30 is a line-out option. It is not a line-in input option.  That camera does have an attenuator option that can reduce volume by 12 dB. You can do your tests to see if you can get results you like, but that mic input is not ideal for accepting sound from a sound board that would normally use line in. The same is true for the G50 and G60.

Thanks for the reply, Nick2020! I guess I should have referenced the page for the G30. On Page 84, it explains that you can toggle the "Mic Terminal Input" from "LINE External Audio" and "MIC Microphone". I have used the G30 frequently with line-level audio and as long as I select "LINE External Audio" it works beautifully. Clean sound, good level, no distortion.

I may have to run some tests on the G50 and G60, but I hate exposing them to line-level audio, if they aren't designed to use it. Currently, I have been using an attenuator cable to reduce the level properly. Just wondering if I can stop using that cable if I turn on the 20 dB attenuator on the G50 and G60.

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

In the case of my HF G40, it will automatically switch to line level just by plugging in a line source such as the line out of my Zoom H2n. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

john83318
Contributor

I can confirm that enabling the external Mic Attenuator ([Menu]>[Note Icon]>[2]>[MIC Att.]>[On]) allows me to use a Line Level signal in the Microphone Jack on the HF G60. With the Attenuator off there was just horrible, distorted noise. With the Attenuator enabled the signal was clean and worked well. I did this using a line level signal coming from a Behringer X32.

Anon1
Apprentice

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been struggling with this issue for almost a year. My workaround has been to use two cameras  -- an HF M50 that took the Line Level signal and the G60 -- then editing them afterwards to combine the audio from the first and the video from the second. I don't record that often, but you have saved me hours of editing and it feels great to be using just one camera.

john83318
Contributor

So glad to hear it! Any day we learn something new is a good day. 😊

Announcements