cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious Issues with TASCAM CA XLR2D C for Canon R5 C

Ferenc_M
Apprentice

We, our university, bought TASCAM CA-XLR2D-C for Canon R5 C. It does not work. The adapter does not get power from the camera and also does not work with batteries. When connected to the camera, the yellow light with the camera symbol lights up for a short time, but then turns off after a few seconds. The camera displays the error message below: "Currently, the accessory cannot be used"

Tried everything firmware update, reboot, etc, but no results. 

Unfortunately, all this happens at the beginning of a shoot in a foreign country. What to do?

27 REPLIES 27

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Does the Tascam work on another camera?  I know it won't work through a standard hot shoe, but does it stay powered?  Do you have another camera with a multi-function hot shoe to test with?

Depending on that result, I would save my existing settings, reset the camera, also its custom settings and retest. You need to determine if it's the Tascam or the camera itself which is not working as expected.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Stefan2
Apprentice

Did you solve the problem? I have the same problem with my R3.

asj43
Apprentice

I've also just had this problem occur, with the R5C and the Tascam unit, which I had been using continuously on a shoot with good results... suddenly, after setting up an interview with two XLR inputs, the exact same symptom: orange light for 1 second, no levels register, light goes out, and message appears on display: "Currently, the accessory cannot be used." No visual signs of damage to contacts on either side of the hotshoe. Renting an R5C and new Tascam unit now to test and cover us for the remainder of the shoot... but are there any other updates on what might cause this outside of hardware damage, perhaps some obscure / unintentional tweak to settings that make it incompatible?

This has happened to me twice now, after having it repaired the first time I am at a loss about what to do...

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

If you are renting another R5 C. Test your Tascam unit with it before making any settings modifications.  Also test the rented Tascam on your body.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

JT_Taylor
Apprentice

Sending the unit to Tascam to have them verify the problem is not even a half baked answer,   neither is "use the battery for the CA-XLR2d", I have several batteries for my R3, I bought the unit to simplify my setup.  If there are known issues tell us upfront, don't change things after the fact.  Shame on you Tascam.

jimepstein
Apprentice

I'm having the same issue. I've sent my camera back to Canon, and it came back with a clean bill of health. I sent my Tascam back to Tascam. Tascam claimed they fixed the unit, but it came back with the same issue. My colleague with the same setup is having the same problem. Did anyone on this thread manage to resolve the problem?

It's happened to me twice. Still no resolution

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Afraid I do not own this unit.  Tascam says you are suppose to use the latest FW (currently v1.12)

CA-XLR2d | DOWNLOADS | TASCAM - United States

See Troubleshooting - 5

CA-XLR2d_REFERENCE MANUAL_vB (tascam.eu)

I believe the battery switch issue was resolved in the FW update above.  

I also saw posts in regards to the LED turning on briefly then off again indicating a defective unit.  Others said theirs worked 1-5 times then died.  

I do know one user who owns the Tascam and bought for his R5 C,  I'll see if I can reach him.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements