cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious Issues with TASCAM CA XLR2D C for Canon R5 C

Ferenc_M
Apprentice

We, our university, bought TASCAM CA-XLR2D-C for Canon R5 C. It does not work. The adapter does not get power from the camera and also does not work with batteries. When connected to the camera, the yellow light with the camera symbol lights up for a short time, but then turns off after a few seconds. The camera displays the error message below: "Currently, the accessory cannot be used"

Tried everything firmware update, reboot, etc, but no results. 

Unfortunately, all this happens at the beginning of a shoot in a foreign country. What to do?

27 REPLIES 27

Thank you. Tried a firmware update. No change.

Hey Jim, The FW update seems to have worked for me, I have an R3 though.

@jimepstein,

You said Tascam repaired your unit.  What did they repair exactly?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

They told me that the circuit board was corrupted and need replacing. Cost about $140 and took about a month and a half because they lacked the part. But the unit that came back has the same problem. Now they’re offering to give me a new one in a couple months when they have one in stock. I’m worried it won’t fix the issue because my colleague is having the same problem, and I find here that others are too. 

@jimepstein wrote:

They told me that the circuit board was corrupted and need replacing. Cost about $140 and took about a month and a half because they lacked the part. But the unit that came back has the same problem. Now they’re offering to give me a new one in a couple months when they have one in stock. I’m worried it won’t fix the issue because my colleague is having the same problem, and I find here that others are too. 

I hope this is not a standard business practice for them.  A corrupt circuit board, and they made you pay for it?  Now they are offering a new unit to you.  Why because they know the problem is likely with their product and not the result of normal use (your fault).  

The device comes with a 1 yr warranty.  

This is from their list of compatible products - R5 C

・It has a limitation of maximum current rated at 9mA for phantom power. It is recommended to use
battery-power using the battery box if you need more power.
・There is a 4 second MUTE when switching from camera-power to/from battery power.
・Does not support OL (overload) indicators.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

JT_Taylor,

Thanks for providing this update.  Glad your Tascam is functioning now.  Is there anything that stands out to you as problematic?  Cause and effect wise?  Seems odd that others are reporting "their unit worked", then stopped for no apparent reason?  Do you have batteries installed.  Are you powered from the shoe?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

I don't have batteries installed.  Mine still has "crunchy" (unusable) audio until I turn off the camera and turn it back on.  Every time that I go into the menu on the camera this problem shows up and I have to cycle power on the camera.  The cause is simply going into into the menu the effect is me needing to tell the Canon and Tascam engineers that they can do better.

Texcorpus
Apprentice

Any updates on this or fixes?  Mine was working fine on a Canon R5 C, but then it stopped working at the start of a job.  Luckily, I had a Zoom 4n with me.  A few times, I got the TASCAM to work, but it can cut out for no reason.  I've been using my Zoom recorder, and finally started to look for a fix.  Any help would be great.

@Texcorpus,

Nothing from anyone since March of this year.  For everyone's benefit.  What FW are you running on your R5 C now?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Delarageaz
Apprentice

Hey ! it happened to me too about a year ago, sent it to TASCAM and they did repair it for free ! it only took them 8 months to repair it but at least it works now.

This product is a joke and i'm really sad about that cause it's what motivated me to buy an R5C, if i knew it was such a bad product, i would have got myself a Sony FX3 instead ! Built in XLR inputs that sound great are really really important to me, and i can't be satisfied with an half baked solution like that TASCAM. Canon needs to make their own XLR module, it needs to sound good and be reliable ! If Canon does not find a solution before the end of my warranty period, i'll be returning the R5C saying that the new Multi Function Hot Shoe is not working as advertised and that i want my money back.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements