cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia HF G50 Compatible with WL-D89 Remote Control?

rhckm49
Enthusiast

Is the WL-D89 remote control compatible with the Vixia HF G50? I like the reviews of this camera but the remote control is something I also like about my Vixia HF G40 camera.

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The web site and user manual only make mension of the RC-V100 Remote Controller.   The manual also states that other "commercially available remote control" items can be used but they will differ with zoom speeds (see page 52 of the manual).  No other brands are listed, of course.

While I own the Vixia HF G50, I do not have any remote equipment so cannot offer any help beyond the above.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Inapickle
Rising Star

The WL-D89 wireless (infra-red) remote is compatible and included with the HF-G60, but not the HF-G50. Being an HF-G40 owner myself, I agree, the WL-D89 is a useful accessory. I use LANC zoom/record remotes (Libec and an older Manfrotto model that powers the camcorder off/on) when the camcorder is mounted on a tripod (Fig-Rig also) but the WL-D89 comes in useful when I'm taking static, hands-free shots on a video monopod (Sirui P204S); the monopod wobbles for about 5 seconds after you let go, so I can use the WL-D89 to record, and zoom if needs be, without touching the camera again. Also good for taking remote self/group shots when the screen panel (where the IR sensor resides) is rotated forward. Pity Canon haven't come up with universal wireless remote that doesn't require pointing at a sensor - would probably cost an arm and a leg though.

donloftus
Apprentice

I have used a WL-D89 on my G30 and just tried it on my new G50.  I doesn't work.  Tried pointing at the camera from all angles but it doesn't seem to have in infra-red receptor anywhere.  I did set the camera to "Standard" and not RC-V100 ($1800 for the remote???  I don't think so!)  Does anybody have a recommendation for a reasonable wired remote? They do come in handy when you want to do an extreme zoom without touching the camera.

donloftus
Apprentice

I did a search and this looks like a solution for a wired remote.  It's cheap and seems to be getting decent reviews.  I have not purchased it yet but probably will the next time I order something.  Here is the link -- Revo VRS-LANC Wired Remote Control

1.JPG

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

Announcements