cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novatron lights compatibility with EOS Rebel T3

Patmaji
Contributor

I have a canonEOS Rebel T3 and a Novatron 240 flash kit. I bought a Wein Hot Shoe Safe Sync and attached it by the proper cord to the light’s power box It isn’t tripping the flash bulbs. I don’t know what settings I need on the camera or is this just not going to work with this camera?

23 REPLIES 23

I haven’t because I don't have a speedlite. Should I get one? The purpose of this camera is to photograph artwork for a print website so I need even light. I used to use a Nikon SLR with these old lights but now the camera is digital

If you can rent or borrow a Canon speedlite. Try it on your camera to see if the flash fires.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks Demetrius. I will try that. 

When you rent or borrow a speedlite make sure its a Canon EX or EL speedlite. In the name it would say for instance 430EX II or EL-100. For the speedlite to work correctly with a modern camera. (Except for the EL-5 that only works on certain EOS R series cameras). If its an old E, EZ, G or TL speedlite it won't work correctly. Theses speedlites were designed for film cameras and don't support the current Auto flash exposure system of today. Those old speedlites support A-TTL or TTL flash metering. When those old speedlites are used on a modern they will fire at full output ONLY.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The Canon T3 is safe for sync voltages up to 250V. I believe the Novotron 240 is only about 12V and no where near 250V so that should be fine.  Your T3 will work if you can use the correct pieces to get the flash sync signal from your hotshoe to the Novatron. 

Have you successfully used the Novatron with another camera? Do you know how to test fire the Novatron?

If your Novatron is not firing you have a connection problem. You must go through a process of elimination to figure out where the connection problem is.

It might help if you show us photos of the of the various pieces you are using to make the connection.  I expect you are using a PC cord and they are notorious for causing connection problems. 

Mike Sowsun

Yes a pc on the Wein hot shoe end and a household plug into the Novatron end. I used the Novatron all the time with my Nikon SLR no digital. Everything turns on there— all connections are good and the bulbs flash when I push the test button on the power unit. The Wein recommends using an exact-o  blade to slightly expand the slots in the pc connector. I’ll send photos of all of the parts involved. The cord is new as is the hot shoe. Would a wireless trigger work?

IMG_2566.jpeg

IMG_2567.jpeg

IMG_2568.jpeg

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

If the T3 can trigger a regular flash, what you have should also trigger the Novatron. You just need to find out where the bad connection is. Try shorting out the PC plug to make sure it triggers the Novatron. Also see if the Wein will also trigger another flash that has a PC connection. 

Or try the same setup with another camera. 

Mike Sowsun

Patmaji
Contributor

The pc did trip the flash bulbs. Since you say that stepping down the voltage between the T3 and the Novatron, is there another cord that has household prongs on one end but a connector other than a pc onto the camera— without the Wein hot shoe? Also, any chance the T3 has to have a speedlite hooked up to it to make the external flashes trigger?

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The T3 does not need a flash in the hotshoe order to trigger a flash. You just need an adapter than can convert the hotshoe to a PC connection. The Wein “Safe Sync” circuitry might not be working properly with your T3. I would try a basic adapter like this one. 

2EADB969-8B03-4F3D-B814-CCF08F028CDA.jpeg

Mike Sowsun
Announcements