cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Wide Panel Causing Speedlite 430EX II to Not Zoom.

itsVasty
Apprentice

Good Morning, so I was recently gifted a canon 430ex ii speedlite, which was a kind gesture; but the more I use it the more I understand the person's willingness to give it away.

So the Wide Panel diffuser that usually slots into a compartment at the top of the flash seems to be missing completely, and I've done some digging and found out that the flash zoom function will remain disabled until the wide panel diffuser is pushed back into its compartment -- which I can't obviously do because there is no wide panel diffuser too push in!

To summaries, I cannot use the Zoom function on my flash (like ever, not even auto zoom works, it's permanently stuck on 14mm), and to fix this I need to push the wide panel diffuser back in (That's what the manual suggests at least).

Seeing that I do not have a wide panel diffuser, I was wondering if there are any alternative ways to override the flash zoom function. It could be hacky (messing around with firmware), DIY or even a guide on how to reinstall a new wide panel diffuser (AliExpress has generics).

Please help 🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon Speedlite 430EX II Diffusing Disc Panel Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

itsVasty
Apprentice

I found a DIY, I took a cotton bud (Q-tip if you're American) and cut of the cotton ball; then I stuck the mutilated Q-tip into the compartment and managed to hit the tiny button/pressure sensor just to the left of the centre and it did the trick!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon Speedlite 430EX II Diffusing Disc Panel Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

itsVasty
Apprentice

I found a DIY, I took a cotton bud (Q-tip if you're American) and cut of the cotton ball; then I stuck the mutilated Q-tip into the compartment and managed to hit the tiny button/pressure sensor just to the left of the centre and it did the trick!

Announcements