cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 600EX II-RT drops link- HELP!

Phillyphoto
Apprentice

Scenarios I have tried: 

Using Canon Transmitter ST-E3-RT as the master and (2) 600 EX II-RTs as slaves.

Using A 600EX as master and B 600EX as slave.

Using B 600EX as master and A 600EX as slave. 

I get the same result of the slave dropping link. The time varies. Sometimes it drops link in 4 mins, sometimes 10mins, sometimes 20 or more minutes. The only way to relink them is by turning everything off and back on.

All channels are the same. Yes, I have scanned for the best connection as well as every other channel and AUTO.

All IDs are the same. 

Not near a wifi-router or airport, I'm in a row home in Philadelphia. 

Using NiMh rechargeables and using freshly charged batteries for every test. Batteries are about 2 years old. 

I have spoken to 2 Canon service reps and neither of them has any idea what the problem is. I really don't have the money to spend on sending everything in for "repair". 

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sadly I couldn't resolve the issue and Canon insisted they couldn't find a problem. I ended up buying new flashes - not an ideal outcome! 

View solution in original post

202 REPLIES 202

As halocastle has already correctly stated the Godox system also uses radio communication, in the same frequency range, but using their own proprietary protocol. All their rf communications use the same protocol, independent of whether the end devices are Canon, Nikon, Sony etc. This enables the user to mix, in this case the Canon X1R-C triggers, with the entire Godox flash system.
This proprietary protocol is similar to the Canon protocol, but incompatible.

I decided to call Canon support one more time.  The tech of course was very familiar with the problem, and the official answer he has been given is that Canon is aware of the problem and is working on it but does not have a solution yet.  Of course this problem goes back several years, so it is astounding Canon can't figure it out after all this time.  Other mfg in their systems don't seem to have the problem so it doesn't seem like it's such a big mystery.  So overall not a particularly helpful answer, and we are all in the same place we have been

I went ahead and got 3  Yongnuo 600EX-RT II's for receptions since my canon brand constantly drop the link.  No issues so far, and they are just as good as the canon brand. .

I too called Canon support yesterday about this issue. I have an ST-E3-RT and three 600EX II RT's that are experiencing this same random dropped WiFi link issue reported by many users in this forum. I was told by the technician that they had very few reports of an issue like this. So, I have little confidence there will be a solution coming anytime soon. It may be time to bite the bullet and switch brands. There are a lot of options out there.

What number did you call?

I have two numbers I've used to contact Canon. (800) 652-2666 and (800) 385-2155. I think they go to the same location.

AdamFalgout
Contributor

I bought Yuonguo (something like that) and those don't ever seem to drop connection.

7thWheel
Contributor

So I looked for a CANON flash cord so I could avoid this problem when doing street photography with one flash and of course the only one I found on B&H is not compatible with the R6 (just the R6 2.0).  Does anyone know if Canon makes a flash cord that will work between the R6 and the EL1 and if so where can I get one? 

garmanmd
Contributor

I think somewhere within range there is a newer WiFi set up with most current technology. Maybe your neighbor. Their is no solution for rt I have older optical line of sight transmitter and that works but of course with all the limitations I spent a lot of money buying 4 flash units and 2 transmitters hoping to overcome. It is discouraging. Official canon. Response we are working on it. But this problem has been known for over 3 years

crlyhds
Contributor

For those of you who have given up which might did u choose? I would like to keep using my flashes if for no other reason to save $. So I would need a transmitter and 4 remote triggers. Would love to hear your experiences.

Announcements