cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 600EX II-RT drops link- HELP!

Phillyphoto
Apprentice

Scenarios I have tried: 

Using Canon Transmitter ST-E3-RT as the master and (2) 600 EX II-RTs as slaves.

Using A 600EX as master and B 600EX as slave.

Using B 600EX as master and A 600EX as slave. 

I get the same result of the slave dropping link. The time varies. Sometimes it drops link in 4 mins, sometimes 10mins, sometimes 20 or more minutes. The only way to relink them is by turning everything off and back on.

All channels are the same. Yes, I have scanned for the best connection as well as every other channel and AUTO.

All IDs are the same. 

Not near a wifi-router or airport, I'm in a row home in Philadelphia. 

Using NiMh rechargeables and using freshly charged batteries for every test. Batteries are about 2 years old. 

I have spoken to 2 Canon service reps and neither of them has any idea what the problem is. I really don't have the money to spend on sending everything in for "repair". 

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sadly I couldn't resolve the issue and Canon insisted they couldn't find a problem. I ended up buying new flashes - not an ideal outcome! 

View solution in original post

193 REPLIES 193

The new version of the ST-E3-RT is cheaper, enables a few new features like wireless second-curtain sync, new FE memory mode, and support for low-power “micro flash.”

Only the newer EL flashes can update firmware via EOS series models released in 2014 or later so unless Canon wants to do a recall, like with the 600EX-RT, then it's going to be awhile.

Canon offer an upgrade from the original ST-E3-RT to a version II, but over in Europe they charge around $100 for the mod. I'm quite sure this will NOT solve our issues but this price would seem to imply that a simple firmware upgrade is not possible with these units, even on an opened unit by Canon. As the 600EX-RTs behave in the same manner as the ST-E3-RTs I'm also assuming (due to the lack of other reliable information) that they incorporate the same RF related circuitry and firmware. If this is correct, a simple firmware update is probably also not possible.
If the above is correct, to resolve these connection issues we'd most likely be talking about the replacement of circuit boards. Canon wouldn't want such a problem to get too public because this might turn into a rather expensive recall. I'm not holding my breath...

You mentioned that CPP has "nothing like this on record" but did they record your issue? If they continue to receive complaints and never record anything this will never change!

You also appear to be focussing on "WiFi sites" i.e. routers, but every device connecting to a router is also a transmitter. The culprit is just as likely to be a device looking for a router. I've reported here that my Apple HomePods are the source of interference in my specific case, but any other device could be responsible. In San Fransisco your options are probably limited, but I'd recommend retesting after turning off ALL Wifi, Bluetooth and home automation devices, including phones and watches.

crlyhds
Contributor

Has anyone tried the new El-1 flash? If the cheaper ones don't work why try a more expensive model right? Just wondering

garmanmd
Contributor

It seems the issue is interference of some kind.  I'm wondering if the introduction of 5G is in the equation?  I haven't seen anyone mention it, but that is the one technology that is newer in roll out.  Maybe someone knows more technical details.

In my case it is my mini HomePods and Apple TV. When they are plugged in my flashes lose contact within minutes. When I unplug them I can go on for hours with my flashes.

Nick55
Enthusiast

Phillyphoto. 
My 5 600’s and two ST-E3 RT starting doing the same exact situation as you have described here in Delaware County. 
these have been working flawlessly for over ten years. Just last week they started losing “LINK”. 
Is there a real solution?
Does the FIRMWARE update solve the situation many of us are having. 
Channel 15, 1 or AUTO same result. 
ID Numbers changed same.

My house or friends house, same result. 
transmitter or 600 as Transmitter same result. Swapped NiMH recently charged with new out of package AA batteries… same result.

could it be that the component for Radio Communication has a useful life??????

Nick55
Enthusiast

Phillyphoto. 
My 5 Canon 600’s and two ST-E3 RT starting doing the same exact situation as you have described here in Delaware County. 
these have been working flawlessly for over ten years. Just last week they started losing “LINK”. 
Is there a real solution?
Does the FIRMWARE update solve the situation many of us are having. 
Channel 15, 1 or AUTO same result. 
ID Numbers changed same.

My house or friends house, same result. 
transmitter or 600 as Transmitter same result. Swapped NiMH recently charged with new out of package AA batteries… same result.

could it be that the component for Radio Communication has a useful life??????

No known fix exists to this problem - other than to photograph in the middle of a field.
Have either you, or anyone in the close neighbourhood installed any new network connected devices in the last week or so? I'm thinking of something like an Apple HomePod speaker?

Announcements