cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600 EX-RT radio problems

bruceplotkin
Apprentice

I've been having problems while shooting weddings with my 600EX-RT flashes not firing as slaves (radio mode) consistently. I've talked with CPS and we ran through all the possible issues including channel changing but other than trying to upgrade to the newer flash version we can't seem to come up with a solution. The master-slave firing works fine in my office but when at an event the slaves might start off firing but then stop working, even as I move closer to them with the master. Again I've tested out looking for the strongest channel and changing them accordingly. My other photographer, ,using the Chinese versions, has no problems. This has happened  multiple times/. Wondering if anyone else experiences this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi bruceplotkin,

I agree with the information in RS-EOS's reply. Since this isn't happening in your office, but is happening at events that does look like it is related to interference. Typically if it was an issue with the flashes or the transmitter themselves we would expect them to have the same issue everywhere you use the equipment. Setting the flashes and transmitter to the strongest channel helps in most cases. Sometimes if there are enough wifi devices or other radio transmission devices you can still see issues like this. 

One thing to check would be to set the flashes for infrared optical transmission and check to see if the same thing happens. As long as the red jewel for the transmitter flash and the red jewels on the receiver flashes have direct line of sight they should fire. That type of connection isn't effected by wifi and radio interference, so it is a good way to narrow down if the issue is with the flashes or with interference in the environment. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Only thing I can think of is interference of some kind at the events.  For those events, was there a local WiFi network (hotspots) set up? How many people were there?  Other folks with camera equipment too?   Depending upon the traffic on I believe the 2.5 GHz band, that could cause issues.

Having said all that, I know that other types of older equipment have been flaky on the newer types of networks.  e.g. our older iPads really don't like the new mesh WiFi network.  They worked better when directly connecting to either an explicit 2.5 GHz or explicit 5 GHz network.   So perhaps the first-gen 600s are just not dealing well?

Finally, for controlling your 600s, are you using another 600 on camera or the ST-E3-RT?  Curious if there'd be any differences for you.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks. I would imagine interference must somehow be coming into play and I will next time try firing them optically to see if that changes anything. I use a 600 on camera as the master. What's so frustrating (besides the incosistency) is that my assistant (second shooter) has the same set up with his Chinese knock offs and they work every time. Thanks for your input.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi bruceplotkin,

I agree with the information in RS-EOS's reply. Since this isn't happening in your office, but is happening at events that does look like it is related to interference. Typically if it was an issue with the flashes or the transmitter themselves we would expect them to have the same issue everywhere you use the equipment. Setting the flashes and transmitter to the strongest channel helps in most cases. Sometimes if there are enough wifi devices or other radio transmission devices you can still see issues like this. 

One thing to check would be to set the flashes for infrared optical transmission and check to see if the same thing happens. As long as the red jewel for the transmitter flash and the red jewels on the receiver flashes have direct line of sight they should fire. That type of connection isn't effected by wifi and radio interference, so it is a good way to narrow down if the issue is with the flashes or with interference in the environment. 

Thanks so much. I will indeed try this optically next time but I know how much that will limit me. Hate to have to buy new equipment since individually these all work fine. Bought all new batteries and chargers at the start of the new year. 

I think the whole reason why Canon moved away from optical and went to radio triggering was because optical sucked big time. More unreliable than RT, it probably works fine in a small room, but not a large event space.
I wish Canon would just own up to this whole radio/dropped link issue. I called CPS the other day to complain and they acted like I was the only person to have encountered this issue. This is hapening not just with 600ex series but with my EL-1 flashes.

Please start your own thread rather than adding replies to very old threads.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

This WiFi interference issue is prominent and well known.  I wish Canon would own up and fix it.  They are about to lose their street cred and brand loyalty.  

westeleven
Apprentice

Canon,

We beg you to do something. There are zero manufacturers struggling with this except you. Someone take ownership. At this point no one’s expecting a recall but at least be willing to service them at our expense. Just fix the problem.

Regards, 

Disgruntled 20 Year+ Canon User

Is there any correlation with why the EL-1 Speedlite is always on back order?

Announcements