cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your wildlife photography!

lindam
Administrator
Administrator

Have you snapped an incredible photo of wildlife? Post a favorite photo you've taken and share the story behind the image. Be sure to include the Canon gear you used!

About this photo: 

Camera: Canon PowerShot G3 X

Exposure Time: 1/125

ISO: 400

F-stop: 6.3                          

IMG_0154.JPG

330 REPLIES 330

thanks Biggs, I will try that on my next outing. I was going for the backlight on the wings, I need to work on that. I was concerned F8 woulndt have enough DOF, but I will try that setting next time out. Its getting al little late in the yr for birds tho. Very much appreciate your knowledge, and passing along some of your expertise.. You always have good tips.

Most lenses like f8.  No lens is at its best wide open or stopped down all the way.  When you get near f16 and f22 you start to have and see diffraction.  Of course f16 is better than f22 but f8 seems to be near the sweet spot.  Not too open and not too stopped.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ok Biggs, That may be part of my issies after all.  I'll try that next time.

EOS 1Dx, Sigma 120-300mm @300mm, f8, SS 1/1000, ISO 800

_OS14659.jpg

Mallard duck family.

EB

I have been following your advice w. th new camera & lenses @ f8 setting.

not the dof I was looking for but it is sharp

Just one question, "Its hard not to sound arrogant on here ...".   I would like to know what I said. Put your answer in a PM.

EB

I have not been able to get into my PM on here regularly.  I live in a remote area and wifi is sketchy.

"It would take me 30 mins to figure out which comment ticked me off."

Yeah, I think it best we part amicably.  All the best to you.

EB

ballottasphotog
Enthusiast

Mullets break the surface of the water to feed on insects. The raw file was processed in Digital Photo Pro.

The image was taken with a Canon EOS Rebel T5 and an EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III. The exposure was set at f8 , a shutter speed of 1/2000" and an ISO of 800.IMG_2766_Mullets.jpg

ballottasphotog
Enthusiast

A great egret wades near the bank of New River in Gonzales, Louisiana. The raw file was processed in Digital Photo Professional. The white balance was corrected in PaintShop Pro. The image was shot with a Canon T5 and an EF 75mm-300mm f4-5.6 III. The exposure settings were AV:f5.6, TV 1/1000" ISO 400.IMG_2785_Great Egret.jpg

Announcements