cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rastafarian Tribe

Addisonjones
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I didn't know that Rastafarian was a whole religion. When I went to Antigua, I happened upon it and got to learn through my image taking. They said I couldn't shoot at first but after chatting a little while, miracles happened and the priest allowed me!

Here is what I learned:

It is a tribe, a community that lives off the land.

Rastafarians believe in Jah, which is another name for God according to the Old Testament. They believe that Haile Selassie was the divine. The Black Messiah. He was their Jesus Christ.

Snoop was Rastafarian for awhile-that's when he changed his name from Snoop Dogg to Snoop Lion. 😂

addison-jones-cultural-photographer-01.jpg

IMG_0156.jpgThey are not allowed to consume alcohol, milk, coffee,salt,animal oil and veganism is preferred. They choose to live off the land and their hands show their hard labor.addison-jones-cultural-photographer-02.jpg

The Priest, the elder, the wise one. I asked him to smile at first and he said he doesn't smile a lot because people steal his light. I said "how the hell can someone steal your light when you choose to give it? "

Smiling is the most universal language, everyone understands it, everywhere you go.

addison-jones-cultural-photographer-03.jpg

Rastafarian followers believe the use of marijuana is directed in Biblical passages and that the "holy herb" induces a meditative state and brings them closer to the divine. They smoke/pray 3x a day for 30 min. 6am.12pm.6pm.addison-jones-cultural-photographer-04.jpgIMG_0157.jpg

Did you know that Rastafarian was an entire religion?!

2 REPLIES 2

sam-fayye
Contributor

What an incredible experience! Gorgeous work!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Well aware of the Rasties as they are called. They love their ganga. For more information, Google Haile Selassie.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
click here to view the gallery
Announcements