cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CanoScan LiDE 400 The USB cable that came with my scanner doesn't plug into my scanner!

dogstarman2
Apprentice

I'm a pretty tech-savvy guy, been plugging in things since the days of SCSI. lol
But this brand new CanoScan LiDE 400 that I got from Amazon has port on the back that I don't recognize. And, I can't plug in the cable!! Please see the pics, because it's hard to describe. The cable looks correct, at the USB-C side, but the port won't accept it. Seems like a little slot, too small to fit the USB-C plug. Any ideas? Please help. I'll try to return it, if I need to.
Thank you.IMG_9680.jpgIMG_9681.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I searched further trying to find an actual image of the port.  The manual is low resolution.  It appears to have a center blade typical of USB-C, but cannot be certain.  They do make USB-C connectors with 24 pins and I see your port has this, but the unboxing video I watched shows a standard USB-C cable (like yours).  It didn't show what was on the device itself.  

This might be completely unrelated, but Canon and Amazon are going after counterfeiters aggressively.  I've also read (recently) that "sold by and ships from amazon" isn't always enough.  Apparently inventory can be co-mingled so the person pulling your order could be pulling from multiple sources.  I also learned that Amazon is imprinting inventory with lasers, in order to track where something came from.

Again, I'm not saying you received counterfeit gear, but something isn't right.  I think I might return/exchange it for the same product.  You then have 30 days to return the other device..

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The port on equipment tends to be smaller versions or proprietary.   According to the Product Info page of what comes in the box, the cable is a:

• USB 2.0 Type-CTM Cable (USB A to Type-C)

Did you purchase from the actual Canon store on Amazon? Was a cable included in the box?

Did you

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes. That's the cable that came with it. I bought it brand new, on Amazon, through the Canon "store" there.
And the only cable that they included does not fit the port on the scanner.
IMG_9684.jpg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Did you purchase this item new or used?  If this is how you received it, I'd return it.  The port looks damaged to me.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I bought it brand new from Amazon. That little nick was from me trying to plug in the plug to the port. It got nicked trying to see if that black part was some kind of shipping plug, that might need to be removed before plugging in the USB-C plug. Because there's no way the USB-C plug will go into that little slit in the middle of the black plastic piece. I'm starting to guess that it was simply manufactured wrong & someone put the wrong port on it. 
Just trying to see if anyone else may have had this same problem.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hmm,

This is what a USB-C port looks like.

shadowsports_0-1683900977324.png

From your images, its very obvious the cable is not going to fit.  I'm not convinced this was an authentic Canon Product.  I have seen manufacturers use proprietary connections (Apple), but yours seems to be so off.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I searched further trying to find an actual image of the port.  The manual is low resolution.  It appears to have a center blade typical of USB-C, but cannot be certain.  They do make USB-C connectors with 24 pins and I see your port has this, but the unboxing video I watched shows a standard USB-C cable (like yours).  It didn't show what was on the device itself.  

This might be completely unrelated, but Canon and Amazon are going after counterfeiters aggressively.  I've also read (recently) that "sold by and ships from amazon" isn't always enough.  Apparently inventory can be co-mingled so the person pulling your order could be pulling from multiple sources.  I also learned that Amazon is imprinting inventory with lasers, in order to track where something came from.

Again, I'm not saying you received counterfeit gear, but something isn't right.  I think I might return/exchange it for the same product.  You then have 30 days to return the other device..

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your help, Rick. I was just trying to see if there was something I was missing about this (before going through the return hassle). Oh well.
I'm going to order the same one, and send this one back. Fingers-crossed that the next one has a workable port. Thnx again!

The ends of the cable should be different as it's this part:

• USB 2.0 Type-CTM Cable (USB A to Type-C)

The end to plug into the scanner would be not be the Type-C connector end.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I've asked this user to post an image of his connection port.  Will see if he responds.

CanoScan LiDE 400 Driver install needing Administr... - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements