cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use my CanoScan 9950F with 64-bit Win11

Alisande
Apprentice

I've been using my Canoscan 9950F for a long time to digitize my dad's negatives, slides, and prints, as well as some of my own. I've kept Photoshop Elements 8 on my computer because it has always recognized the scanner's TWAIN driver, whereas newer versions of Elements do not.

I recently starting using a different computer running Windows 11. Photoshop didn't show me the TWAIN option, so I used my Canon disk to install the TWAIN driver. However, I got a message saying the driver is not compatible with 64-bit operating systems. I remember getting this message with my previous computer, and at the time I just ignored it. That was successful, but this time ignoring the message didn't help. Elements 8 is not recognizing the scanner as far as I can tell. 

Does someone have a solution for me? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Considering this scanner is 18 yrs old, I'd try VueScan.  www hamrick dot com

This software is modern and free to test and try.  The 9950F is fully supported according to the site.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Janimal
Apprentice

Hey, Try installing the CanoScan Toolbox v4.9 run as windows 7 64 bit, that helped me, just found the fix today. it is scanning pdf files perfectly. Haven't tested images at this point. atb jan

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Considering this scanner is 18 yrs old, I'd try VueScan.  www hamrick dot com

This software is modern and free to test and try.  The 9950F is fully supported according to the site.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Many thanks for recommending VueScan! Following a few stumbles and a couple of emails with Mr. Hamrick, I bought VueScan and am enjoying the excellent results.

YarmLad
Apprentice

Hi

I have a CanoScan 9950F which is not now supported. Seeing a promotion which stated 'Don't send your 9950F to landfill' I investigated and discovered VueScan. Checking the scanners supported I found the CanoScan 9950F under the VueScan Canon list. The advert was a promotion offering 50% off the professional version so I went ahead with the purchase. Once installed I attempted to hook up the scanner which failed.

I then contacted Hamrick and was advised that the original Canon driver is required before VueScan can get to work. The original disc has long since been lost - does anyone out there either have a copy/a spare or unwanted disc/information as to where that driver can be located?

From an environmental and sustainability point of view the decision by Canon not to support such a first-class product, effectively forcing further addition to landfill, is disappointing. Surely setting a youngster fresh to Canon employment the task of updating the software to Windows 11 compatibility would be a worthwhile exercise, generating goodwill among customers and enhancing their environmental credentials. Planned or forced obsolescence does not fit well with protection of the environment.

Alisande
Apprentice

I tried the free version of VueScan. The program recognized my scanner, but said the scanner needed a driver. I emailed Hamrick and was advised by him to install the driver for Windows Vista or later. I think I downloaded the Win7 driver. When I tried again to run VueScan, this time it didn't recognize the 9950F. I plan to pursue this further after Christmas. 
YarmLad, I hope you'll try downloading one of the drivers offered by Canon--perhaps the one for Windows Vista?--and report back. Good luck!

I had the same problem.  It appears that once you've installed VueScan, Windows won't accept the Canon Windows Vista driver.  Once I uninstalled VueScan and deleted the scanner, I was able to run the driver install program (9950FVST6410324a_64EN.exe).  After that, installing VueScan went smoothly and the scanner was recognized immediately.  The scanner is working fine with VueScan except for 4800 dpi scans of 35 mm slides.  It scans them fine at 2400 dpi but if I change to 4800, the scanner locks up after it hits about 6%.

Announcements