Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which wide open lens with EOS C70?

DuduBatumeli
Contributor

Hello everybody,

A question here about Canon C70.

I have RF lenses, such as 24-105, 16mm, 35mm, and 70-200. I have only 2 EF lenses: 24 - 105 and 24mm, 50 mm.

I need wide-open lenses. So, which best choices do you recommend on a modest, budget?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

One way to help deciding between lens choices is to rent them and see which will work best for you.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I am sure these all have different maximum apertures. What Aperture do you need? Is your 50mm the f/1.8 or f/1.2?

Hi. The lens has f/1.8. But it is not about the aperture. I need wide-view images, landscapes, architecture, etc. 

@DuduBatumeli wrote:

Hi. The lens has f/1.8. But it is not about the aperture. I need wide-view images, landscapes, architecture, etc. 

Greetings,

Meike and Laowa both make some decent UWA & cinema series lenses.

While I always recommend canon first.  Its nice to have options.  The C70 is versatile and friendly to 3rd party glass.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

S you don't want a "wide open" lens, you want a "wide angle" lens. All the advice has so far been wrong.

So, in that case, which lens would you recommend?

One way to help deciding between lens choices is to rent them and see which will work best for you.

--
Ricky

Thanks, Ricky. I think so.

Best regards,

Jumber

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What is your specific budget?

One way to obtain extra light-gathering with your EF lenses is by use of Canon's 0.71x EF to RF adapter which works very well with the C70.  It won't change focal lengths, but it yields the same angle-of-view on the C70's Super 35 sensor as that lens would achieve on a full-frame sensor.  For light-gathering, it provides a full stop.

As an example, my EF 50mm f/1.2L with that adapter on my C70, and set to f/1.2, will gather light as if it was an f/0.9 lens.

The 0.71x adapter isn't cheap though ($600).

Also note that you'd need to weigh in other variables.  e.g. while the 0.71x adapter with 50mm f/1.2 lens is awesome at gathering light, that lens has no IS and thus the only IS you'd have without a rig (gimbal, etc.) would be to use the in-camera digital IS which can lead to issues for certain types of scenes.   If you're on a tripod doing mostly static shots, it's awesome.

--
Ricky

Hello,

I have the 0,71x adapter already. The lens I need is for landscapes, architecture, wide views of cities, nature, etc. So, I am in doubt, about which choice would be better: Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM or Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8l iii usm or 7artisans 12mm T2.9.

Appreciate your advise. Thank you very much beforehand

Announcements