cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert PL mount to EF mount

24fps
Apprentice

Just purchased a Canon 200 C with a PL mount. Does anyone know of an adapter to convert from PL to EF mounts or other mounts? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This must be a rather old C200 series camera.  ARRI made the PL mount, but it was a long time ago and everything went to EF until the C70, R5 C and others. 

You are going to be limited and will have to stick with positive lock lenses.  I'm not aware of any way to use EF lenses on a PL mount body.  PL mount has a 52mm flange distance, EF has 44mm.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Shadowsports,

Thanks for getting back to my question. Does look like I will have to stick with the PL lenses. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Yes.  I did more research and updated my reply.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

The PL mount has a very long flange distance -- 52mm -- so in general adapting any other lenses to it is basically impossible.  EF lenses, for example, need to be 44mm from the sensor, so it's not possible to make an adapter for that.

However, Canon's page for the C200 mentions a "Lens Mount Change Service".  The link, unfortunately, is broken, so maybe it's defunct.  But it might be that there's a glimmer of hope.

https://www.canon.co.uk/video-cameras/eos-c200/

If you want to know more about lens mount compatibility, I wrote an article about tthat: https://moonblink.info/MudLake/gear/lenses

BTW, the PL mount is very much alive and well.  Lots of cameras have it as an option, and lots of cine lenses come in PL mount as an option.  However if you're looking for autofocus lenses, then PL is not the way to go.

Announcements