cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C VR Recording Has Halo Effect after Firmware Update to v1.0.7.1

issac
Apprentice

Hey! firstly, am so sorry if this is not the right place to be posting this. I have the R5C and using the VR lens, after updating to the new firmware I noticed a halo effect. I thought it might be because of the angle of lighting but it's 100% there all the time and wondering if it's something to do with the update. If you look to the top outer part of the attached....is anybody else experiencing this? Many thanks Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 09.06.21.png

6 REPLIES 6

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello issac,

This is not something we have heard of  previously. Is that visible on the camera LCD prior to recording? Are you using the latest version of the VR Utility software? If not, you can download that HERE. If you would like to speak with a Canon representative for further troubleshooting, please contact our Technical Support Team at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Although I don't anticipate ever owning a VR lens, I'll be interested to hear what you find out after contacting support.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

MrSerious_Pants
Contributor

Any updates on this? Was the issue ever resolved? I was thinking of updating the firmware on my R5C this week but I need to shoot VR and I won’t update if this is indeed a firmware issue. 

MrSerious_Pants
Contributor

I really wish people would update or respond to their posts after they post issues like this. It's not helpful if you go radio silent once you figure out a solution (or lack thereof). 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Try sending him a PM.  

I don't have a VR lens so I can't test this for you, I'm sorry.  I did record a bunch of 4K video the past 2 weeks while traveling in Europe, but of course didn't see any halos.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I sent him a PM. To me, the image he posted suggests typical flaring of the lens since he was pointing the camera towards a light source. I'm not sure what his experience his and whether he's familiar with his equipment or not. If he responds to my PM I'll post it here.

Announcements