cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C70 remote recording monitor?

CharityB
Contributor

Hey- I am hoping to use my macpro laptop as a remote recording monitor for the Canon C70. Is this possible? (and if so, How?)

Alternately are there remote recording monitors for the C70 ... and below $900 ??

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What do you mean by "remote"? A long HDMI cable could be considered "remote".

By remote I only mean not on top of or attached to the camera itself. I will have the camera behind me with a macro lens and keeping focus is proving to be beyond the scope of a tape measure. So yes a long HDMI cable would be fine. I don't need the external monitor to record anything, only to tell me what the camera sees/is recording. 

Thank you!

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Let's assume that "remote" means wireless.  So, what do you mean by "recording monitor"?

If picture quality and smoothness isn't super-important, then the C70's Browser Remote feature might be what you want.  You need to find a WiFi dongle which is compatible with the camera, and that's hard, because the dongle has to match the drivers in the camera, and that means it needs to match EXACTLY.

But once past that, Browser Remote isn't too hard to set up, and it will let you see what the camera is recording, albeit a bit jerkily.  And it doesn't support LUTs, so log shooting is a problem.

But it DOES work in any decent modern web browser.  I haven't actually tested Mac, but I have tested it with Chrome, Edge and Opera on Windows and Android, and it's fine.  It also works in Firefox except for tap-to-focus.  So I would guess a mac should work.

But it does not itself record.  If you want to monitor and record wirelessly, then I think you're out of luck.  A wireless HDMI streamer will come close, but as I understand it the quality isn't up to recording standards.

Hi Atticus, I think I used the wrong terminology. I don't mind long cables... and I don't need the external monitor itself to record anything. I need to see what the camera sees while it is recording. The camera will be behind me and I am having trouble keeping the framing and focus accurate.

Ah, then a long HDMI cable will certainly be an easy option -- though that does mean buying a monitor, as opposed to using your laptop.

Browser remote will be more fiddly to set up -- getting a compatible WiFi dongle is the hard part -- but once it's going, you can use your existing laptop, or phone or tablet, for monitoring.  And of course you wouldn't have the cable getting snagged on things.

There are any number of HDMI capture devices that would be able to display on the laptop.

Ah. Thank you.

Can you recommend or name a few to point me in the right direction?

Oh, good point.

Hi Atticus,

Thank you again for your response. By monitor do you mean like a basic hdmi ready computer or television monitor?

And for the wifi dongle, is/are there one/s specific for use with Canon C70?

Announcements