cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to focus c100 for a self-tape?

Maddieo
Apprentice

Hi, I use my c100 mark ii for longer news segments and I need to self-tape stand-ups and interviews. Any recommendations on how to best focus and monitor the shot from in front of the camera without a second operator?

I know there are ways to hook up a remote control and monitor, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Maddieo

Thanks for checking in with us.

When self-recording you could try to set focus on something that is at a similar distance to where you will be standing and use a more closed down aperture like f/5.6 or f/8 to have more depth of field.

If you have the budget for it though, you may wish to get an external monitor that you connect to the camera by HDMI. With a long enough HDMI cable, you should be able to monitor the image from where you are recording.
We don't specialize in HDMI monitors, but there are companies like Atomos, Lilliput, and Small HD who do.

You may wish to check with some of our dealers like www.adorama.com, www.bhphotovideo.com, and www.samys.com to see if they have any recommendations that might work for your setup.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Maddieo

Thanks for checking in with us.

When self-recording you could try to set focus on something that is at a similar distance to where you will be standing and use a more closed down aperture like f/5.6 or f/8 to have more depth of field.

If you have the budget for it though, you may wish to get an external monitor that you connect to the camera by HDMI. With a long enough HDMI cable, you should be able to monitor the image from where you are recording.
We don't specialize in HDMI monitors, but there are companies like Atomos, Lilliput, and Small HD who do.

You may wish to check with some of our dealers like www.adorama.com, www.bhphotovideo.com, and www.samys.com to see if they have any recommendations that might work for your setup.

Maddieo
Apprentice

Thanks! This is helpful, and I'm definitely in the market for a portable external monitor. Is there a way to control the camera remotely as well--either through an external monitor or a separate device? I would love to be able to adjust the focus from in front of the camera while monitoring it, if possible, rather than going back and forth. Thanks!

Announcements