cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Filter failed" message with Mojave OS

cvacher
Apprentice

I recently upgraded my Mac OS to Mojave.
After I did that, my Pro 9000 Mark II printer stopped working and now gives me a "Filter failed" message every time I try to print.
I read somewhere that it's because Canon retired the Pro 9000 Mark II in 2017. Is that true?

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Photo-Printers/Updating-Canon-Pro-9000-Mark-II-to-ru...

This thread discusses what someone did to get the printer functioning with Catalina. It might help you.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for your response.
The solution in the thread doesn't work for me, though. I am printing through Photoshop and I just keep getting the same message.
I went to the Canon website, and that's what it gives me:
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 12.22.56 AM.png
"The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."
That doesn't make much sense, since Mojave doesn't have a driver included for it, and I indeed do need one. 
So, it really does look like Canon has dropped the ball on this one. Which really sucks because I liked that Pro 9000, it did a great job, and it was still in perfect functioning order. Not to mention my replacement ink cartridges. What a waste.
Thanks for your response, nonetheless, I appreciate.

You are caught in the unanswerable question of how long should a company support a product.

The Pro-9000 Mk II was released in March 2009 (almost 13 years ago). It stopped being sold (i.e. income stopped) when the Pro-100 was released in 2013 9 years ago (which is now also no longer sold by Canon).

Operating system upgrades are always a balance - what do I gain and what potential software/hardware problems do I create?

Since i am assuming it worked OK before the upgrade can you create a dual boot disk to use when you want to print?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yeah, that's a good point, John. I hadn't realized they had stopped selling it that long ago (AND the Pro-100 too, which is good info, since I was thinking of buying one. So, thank you for that too).

The idea of a dual boot disk is interesting, but maybe just a bit too much hassle just for printing, since I don't need high quality images that often (I have another smaller printer for all the quick and easy printing that doesn't necessitate quality).
I am contemplating buying another good quality one, in the same quality range and size. Been looking at Epson too, since I had a good Epson in the past. But I am open to any other brand, as long as it's quality.
Would you have any recommendation?

eliseG
Apprentice

Hi, I had the same issue a while ago. I haven't updated my computer for that reason. 
I've had some troubles printing in the past because of the driver but it past. 
At the moment I have MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 and my printer (the same as yours) still works. (fingers crossed). 

I am aware that it wont last but still; it works!

Oh that's interesting. I have the same OS but my printer has stopped working.
Well, good for you, I hope it stays this way.

Announcements