cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can someone exokain the difference between Canon Pro, Plus, Platinum, and standard paper for printin

michaelK
Contributor

I think the subject has it covered :]

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Primarily surface finish and image sharpness. Platinum is very high gloss. Almost looks like a polyurethane finish. Reproduces maximum image sharpness. 

There is no "Pro" by itself. There is Photo Paper Pro Platinum, Photo Paper Pro SemiGloss, Photo Paper Pro Luster, Photo Paper Plus SemiGloss. 

SemiGloss is a smooth surface but not reflective like glossy. Luster is like SemiGloss but with a texture, not smooth. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/120899/article.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks.  That is a huge help.  Any thoughts on the matte papers, or the stuff that has no plus or pro adjective?  I realize by the price difference that they are considered entry level, but wondering what the differences would be.  Are they less bright, thinner stock, or is there a surface difference?

To be more specific, I was looking at the cannon gp601 and 701 paper on the cannon site.  The resolution of the package isn't good enough for me to read the details. but it lloks like it might be 56# paper, while the glossy 2 looks like 70#, and the platinum pro is 80#

The glossy (gp601/701 is listed as glossy on the website, while the other two (pp301 nad platinum) are listed as high gloss, but I have no idea how the glossy would compare to the Plus semi gloss.  John explained the surface difference between the Luster and Semi-Gloss and Platinum, but where do the other 2 papers fall?  

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
This might help.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/pro-paper-sampler
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

THanks John.  I ordered one.  Any ideas on the other papers, the Glossy and Glossy2?  Liohter weight, but that would be OK if the surface is as good as the other papers.\\

Also, wanted to mention to you that the link for the test print from the outback site isn't working.  

Thanks for all your help

Here's the Outback Photo article. 

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

I just received two two packages of Photo Paper Plus Glossy II as part of a Canon free paper deal. I've only printed a half-dozen prints so far. It looks very similar to Platinum but when studied side-by-side Platinum appears smoother. I'll have to read and see what Canon describes for each paper. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks John.

Can I ask you what that deal is?  I jus ordered two ink carts, and got a 50 pack of matte, and a sample pack, but I didn't see anything on the Glossy....or does the offer of the paper change at random?

Comes and goes Michael. Just keep checking. Deal i got was ~$700 worth of paper for free by buying 5 inks.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements