cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good quality printer for photography without breaking the bank?

PhotosByNeva
Enthusiast

I have primarilly used HPs, but it seems lately that these break quickly. Their quality does not seem to be as good as it used to be. I also bought the large pack of Kodak best quality photo paper at Costco which they quit carrying and I can't seem to find that anymore.  When I do think I've found it the quality is NOT the same as it was when I bought it from Costco. I prefer to print my own prints up to 11x14.

What is a favorite paper for everyone? I used glossy, what is a good paper for matte printing?

Also, for anyone else, that uses as much ink as I did, Costco sells the larger inks, they have more and last so much longer than the replacements you buy at Walmart, Staples, etc.

I will be purchasing a Dell XPS 8900 with 6th generation Intel Core i7-6700 processor. I am specifically buying this PC for my photography business and accounting business.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Canon papers are very good. If you like glossy try Pkatinum Pro. Also, Red River papers are good. You can order a sampler pack from them.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since your subject asks about a good inexpensive photo printer I would say Pixma PRO-100. 

If if you Google I think you can get it for $150 or less after rebate before October 31. 

Even at $399 list it is a good value for the print quality. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I agree with John's suggestion for the Pro-100 with the discounted price.  Just be aware that the printer is classified as a "large format printer", which is simply a reference to the paper sizes that it can use.  

Pro-100, 20 oz bottle, 17 inch Laptop

In othe words, this printer is physically quite large.  It weighs in at 42 pounds, and is close to 30 inches wide.  Check out the physical specifications before you buy, so that you can figure out wher to put it if this for personal use at home.  I commandeered an old coffee table I had in my home office. 

How do you like my new desk?  🙂  That's a 20 ounce soda bottle, and a 17 inch laptop sitting on top of the printer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

PhotosByNeva
Enthusiast
I want something that'll do high quality photographic prints because I'm selling my own photos and if I can print up as much as possible on my own that would be great! I don't care how big it is because one of my rooms is going to be my office and I'm sure I can find a spot for it. Now my problem is finding decent photo paper....

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Canon papers are very good. If you like glossy try Pkatinum Pro. Also, Red River papers are good. You can order a sampler pack from them.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

PhotosByNeva
Enthusiast
Thanks everyone. It has been a while since I've been in the market for a good printer.

Good Luck. The Pro-100 is a steal when you take advantage of the Canon promotion. I bought one, and I wasn't even in the market for buying a photo printer. But, I'm glad that I got this one. It can self clean a number of its' internal parts, and it uses the better type of ink that doesn't dry out and ruin the printer, like what you find used in those $40 photo printers.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements