Hi, I just purchased the PRO-300, using with mac OS catalina and the Canon Professional Print and Layout software. While I was able to make a few stunning prints, I'm very confused about a few set-up issues, and reading through all of the technical documentation I can find has not helped (it isn't very clear about several things).
Here are my questions (sorry for a long post)--mostly related to paper/print media in:
1) I have some Moab lasal photo matte 235 paper in 4x6 size. I would like to add this paper to Media Type list in the PPL program. I thought that is what the Canon "Media Configuration Tool" is for? I have a question about that below. If I print with these third-party art papers (Moab, etc.), do I have to use one of the preset settings in the PPL "Media Type" menu?
2) Similar question about the paper size setting in PPL. I tried to print on the Moab Matte paper using the "Photo Paper Paper Pro Premium Matte" option (confusingly included under the "fine arts paper" menu rather than the "photo papers" sub menu with the other Canon brand "photo papers"). However, 4x6 is not an option for this media type. Under "paper size" I selected "specify paper size" and added a custom entry for 4x6. But It does not appear on the list of paper sizes if I select the Premium Matte media type. The custom paper size I added only shows up if I select plain paper. How am I supposed to print on my heavy-weight matte 4x6 paper? The entire process of adding the custom paper is very confusing. I was able to download the ICC profile from the Moab website, and this shows up in the color management section of PPL, but so far I can't figure out how to create an entire profile for that paper--is it possible?
3) Is it true that I have to set the paper type and size on the printer AND in the Canon PPL software? Or will the PPL software send my media-choice and paper size settings to the printer? Even when I am able to select the 4x6 size in PPL (because I select plain paper), I don't see a 4x6 option inside of the printer menu. I assume that I should select "others"--but I haven't been able to find a clear explanation about this, either. What is the purpose for making media/paper size settings on both the printer and in the print software?
4) What is the purpose of the "Media Configuration Tool"? This software could stand to have some clearer instructions. My understanding is that I use that software to add custom, third-party paper profiles into the printers menu. I tried to create a profile for my Moab Matte art paper, and it seemed to be added to the list in that software's window under "custom." The appliaction said that it successfully communicated to the printer, but I see no evidence inside of the printer's media "type" menu that this profile has been added. I also don't see that custom paper appearing anywhere in the media-type menu of PPL. What am I missing? How do I use this custom paper profile in my workflow?
5) If i just ordered the printer from Canon, will I need to update the firmware, or is there some way to check the vesion it has? It appears that I need a special USB cable to do the firmware update, but I don't have one (I don't believe one shipped with the printer). I'd like to avoid buying one if possible.
Any insight you can offer on these questions would be most appreciated.
07/31/2023: New firmware updates are available.
05/31/2023: New firmware updates are available.
05/18/2023: New firmware updates are available.
04/20/2023: New firmware version 1.4.1 is available for EOS R3
03/30/2023: New firmware updates are available.
2/07/2023: New product announcements!EOS R8 EOS R50RF-S55-210mm F5-7.1 IS STMRF24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STMRF15-30mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM