cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-1000: never turn it off?

Oldshooter1
Contributor

I've learned the Pro-1000 uses at least a smidgin of ink clearing the printhead every time you turn it on.  Some folks suggest just never turning it off, to save that smidgin of ink.  Will doing so harm the printer?  Is there enough heat generated to be of concern?  Thanks.

Oldshooter 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thanks, John, I'll turn the rascal on for good. Much obliged.

View solution in original post

If you go into the printer driver and select the Maintenance tab do you have an option for Auto Power with Disable as an option? This is my Pro-100 driver.

2019-02-02.png

2019-02-02 (1).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

John, how is this working for you?   

I bought my Pro-1000 in 11/2016.   I've filled four maintenance tanks.   A friend with a 10+ year old Canon 17" printer is on his second maintenance tank.

Since no cleaning cycles will be done with leaving the printer on, have you encountered clogs?

Thanks, Hal

I don't have a Pro-1000 (just a Pro-100), so I can't specifically discuss clogs for the Pro-1000.

But, if the printer is on, but asleep, when you go to print it will execute cleaning cycles per the timer. The extreme difference would be if you print every day, but turn printer off. Each day when you turn it on it will do a cleaning cycle. If you use Auto Off and print every day you won't perform a cleaning cycle since printer is being used daily. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm a fine art photographer.   I print when I need to hang a show, attend local camera club twice per month, and the local Photoshop user group that I've run for the last 15 years.   I print when necessary.

I just weighed and empty and full maintenance tank as well as an empty and full ink tank.   What it comes down to is that the waste ink in 28 months of usage amounts to 12.5 full tanks of ink or about $1000 in wastage.

The last printer I had was an Epson 7900 24" printer.   In six years of use at the same rate as now, I filled under 2 maintenance tanks.

This thing, Pro-1000, has the most conspicuous wastage I've ever seen.   There is no option to have user input on when to run a cleaning cycle.   Stupid for users.  Terrific for Canon.

Hal

Announcements