cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-1000: never turn it off?

Oldshooter1
Contributor

I've learned the Pro-1000 uses at least a smidgin of ink clearing the printhead every time you turn it on.  Some folks suggest just never turning it off, to save that smidgin of ink.  Will doing so harm the printer?  Is there enough heat generated to be of concern?  Thanks.

Oldshooter 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thanks, John, I'll turn the rascal on for good. Much obliged.

View solution in original post

If you go into the printer driver and select the Maintenance tab do you have an option for Auto Power with Disable as an option? This is my Pro-100 driver.

2019-02-02.png

2019-02-02 (1).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I can't comment directly on the Pro-1000, but I have a Pro-100 that has been always on for several years (other than a few power outages) since it is configured for wireless printing from two of my computers.

No problems, and there is no place on the housing that feels warmer than room ambient.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks, John, I'll turn the rascal on for good. Much obliged.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Jose Rodriguez YouTube channel on printers talks about this (though not specific to the Pro-1000).

To avoid the printheads from drying out, Canon has a timer which periodically clears the heads.  But apparently there are different levels of aggressiveness on the cleaning cycles.  Canon normally runs the least-aggressive cycle (the one that uses the least ink possible) if they know how long it has been since the last cleaning cycle.

The trouble is... if the printer is deprived of power, it has no internal battery clock ... so it has no idea if it's been powered off for 1 minute vs 1 year and ... that triggers the MOST aggressive cleaning cycle (which uses the most ink).

So Jose's recommendation is ... turn it on and leave it on.  This minimizes the amount of wasted ink.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Well, gang, I turned on the Pro-1000, thinking I'd never turned it off.  But CANON WINS!  I'll still be blowing off ink......because there is an internal timer, apparently, that shuts the printer OFF after, what?  an hour or so without being uses?  Then, when you turn it on again it goes through the ink-wasteful routine of head cleaning....

If you go into the printer driver and select the Maintenance tab do you have an option for Auto Power with Disable as an option? This is my Pro-100 driver.

2019-02-02.png

2019-02-02 (1).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John, thanks a million, but I'm too dim, apparently.  How do you "go into the printer driver?"

Hey, John,

I got it.  I got it.  I got it. Dug throught the Utility menu, and there it was.  Disabled the Auto Power Off (default was 240 minutes).  Thanks again.

Oldshooter.

There is also a setting in the printer control panel, under I think 'Other Settings' and 'Energy Saving' or the like, you can set it to never power off, also auto start, which I'm guessing has partly to due with power failures, just like with PC's where you can set it to auto-restart after losing power.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
👍
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements