cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-100 prints my B&W in sepia

otava
Enthusiast

I have now struggeled with this for months. Cannot get desant B&W prints. They all turn out to be sepia or brownish. I print from Photo Shop Elements 11 using Print Studio Pro. Yes the B&W tag is checked. The only way would be to remove all the color cartridges, but then the thing does not print. Should I buy a separate dedicated B&W printer?

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23

Windows 10 (came with the new hard drive).

Went to Canon for Pro 100 Driver, downloaded it, finally figured that I had to unzip it, and it automatically deleted the original driver and replaced it. Test Print: muddy as ever. Colors are not even in the ballpark.

Are there other drivers involved?

Incantations?

DN

OK. So I got ANOTHER Pro 100, changed out the ink (all of it) and started trying to print scanned B&W negs. About two months later, I got the same result: a muddy sepia tone.

THEN I printed a shot through the MS photo program, electing to print on Photo Paper, Matte. Same deal: sepia tone.

THEN (you are seated?) I accidently printed it electing Plain Paper and it printed a just fine B&W print (yes, on matte paper)..

THEN I went back through Photoshop with the same file, choosing Plain Paper option, and shazzam, it printed a just fine B&W print.

No way I can figure this out. Choosing Plain Paper option rather then Photo Paper Matte option solves the problem. Way above my pay grade.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

DN

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What software are you using for printing?

When you run a nozzle check does it look OK? If the printer isn't producing a good nozzle check any further work will be futile.

Annotation 2020-09-02 201804.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm also having this problem. Black and white shot, edited in LR and PS - no conversion at printing.

Comes out sepia and completely different than what's shown on my display.

Followed the steps in this thread:

• Unchecked "black and white photo print" boxes in the PS print dialog and the printer preferences
  • Using PS print dialog box because PSP 2.2.3 refuses to work with PS 2019 / 2020 (separate thread on that...)
  • Nozzle cleaning no issues - ink levels no issues
  • Using correct paper profiles in print dialog (SG +)

Just tagging along to this thread hoping to be able to use my printer again...

Does this test image print OK?

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I'll give that a try later today. I was just on the phone with a very helpful Canon support person who found a workaround to use PSP, so some updates:

• Using PSP with the photo in question, it still prints as sepia (default settings)
  • Using PSP on a monochrome photo file that was previously printed in black and white with no issues (≤1 year ago), it came out sepia 
  • Drivers removed and reinstalled - no change
  • Nozzle cleaning print shows no issues

The Canon support guy thinks it's some color management conflict (something that should've been avoided by using PSP) since this issue is popping up on other, previously successful, prints. 

Seems to print OK.

BTW I tried another B&W print on Plain Paper, and now IT has a slight magenta tone.

Still, the printer does fine on color shots.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Magenta color cast frequently means double profiling. Since there is no ICC profile for plain paper the issue clears.

Double check your settings. Are you selecting Printer Manages Color in PS?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I changed to Printer Manages Colors in the print dialog box (File>Print), but still sepia when matte paper is selected.

A message below "Pinter Manages Colors" states, "remember to enable the printer's color management in the print settings dialog box."  Confusing, due to the fact that, according to Canon Help, I am already IN the print settings dialog box.

There must be another place to indicate Printer Manages Colors. I just haven't found it.

Strange that the Pro 100 (both of them) started this Sepia stuff without any warning. Theretofore I was able to print B&W with no annoying Sepia.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements