cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-100 print head jam during setup

kcannon
Contributor

When setting up a new Pro-100, the print head seems to jam after the initial power-on. I removed all tape and other packing material, then connected the power cord and pressed the On button. For about 10 seconds I heard "normal" quiet sounds from inside the printer, then a loud sort of grinding noise for 3-4 seconds. After that it stopped and the yellow alarm light flashed twice, pause, twice, pause, etc. When I opened the top cover, I could see that the print head was still at the far right side.

None of the error code options in the Troubleshooting section of the online manual seem to apply here. 

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Double/triple check that all packing material and tape is removed.

Make sure orange head holddown clamp is seated.

Make sure all ink cartridges are seated,

Power off printer, remove power cord and let sit for about an hour.

Plug back in and try again.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John, thanks for getting back to me. I think I need to clear something up....I said I have a print head jam, but the problem is occurring before I have even gotten to installing the print head. The mechanism that holds (or would hold) the head won't move out of the far right position it was in when I unboxed the printer. So there's no possibility of my having not fully seated the print head or ink cartridges, as I have not been able to get to the step in the setup process where either would be installed. Sorry for the confusion.

That said, I have checked and rechecked for packing material and tape and can see none left on or in the printer. I've inspected the inside with a bright light and can see nothing obstructing the path on which the mechanism needs to travel. I unplugged the printer for several hours and tried again but got the same problem.

I looked closely at the interior of the printer during this last attempt and could see that a toothed drive belt toward the back of the compartment is likely what was making the noise. It was clearly moving, but vibrating rapidly as it did so, as it would have if it were being dragged over whatever it rolls on to move the print head mechanism. That mechanism seems to be stuck, but I can't see what's causing it to stick.

I bought the printer at a good local camera shop and can probably bring it back to them, although I'd of course rather resolve the problem at home. Thanks again for your help.

Kelly Cannon

Orinda, CA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You could give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON first. But if you are close to store return is probably best.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I talked with Canon's support line this morning. They confirmed I had purchased a defective printer and offered to send me a replacement. I oped to return it to the store I bought it from. Did that today and will set it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this one is a winner.

Thanks for your help.

Kelly

I had the same exact problem.  Printer arrived last night.

I set it up today.

I couldn't even get to Step #3 because the printer head was getting jammed - and making a terrible grinding noise.

I powered down - unplugged - plugged in again - turned on - and after some initial internal setting up - it made the same noise -

Called Canon - 1 800 OK CANON

They walked me through some Trouble-shooting steps and after about twenty minutes - they determined it was a bad printer -

They exercised the warranty - and upon emailing my name, case #, phone number and Ser. # of the device - they will send a replacement printer with a return shipping slip -

Bonus - I get to keep all of the peripherals - ink, cords, etc....  I just have to send back the printer.

I'll do that tonight and hopefully in 3-5 business days the replacement will arrive - I live in Rhode Island so hopefully it won't take long to get here from New Jersey (?)

Sorry to see you experienced the same - but good to know I'm not the only one - still love Canon products -

Customer service was very good -

Just hope it's not a sign of things to come.....

Time will tell......

Alex

Glad to hear Canon support did their job for you. Since getting my replacement printer, it's worked flawlessly. A great printer.

Radioman1017
Apprentice

So we are having the same issues as apparantly several previous posters.  In the setup, we cannot get past step 2 because after opening the paper output tray and the top cover, the print head doesn't move out to allow us to put ink in the printer?  Is this printer just a piece of junk?  With so many people having the same problem I'm extremely hesitant to buy a replacement. 

Mark

For what it's worth, although the printer I bought was clearly defective, the one they replaced it with has worked flawlessly for the past two years. No problems at all and it makes great prints. I'm glad I have it.

PixmaPro100Prob
Apprentice
I have the same problem. Canon is going to send a new printer. The only logical issue would be the output tray sensor. The carraige will not move out of the protected position because it believes the output door is closed. Does anyone know the location of this sensor?
Announcements