cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-10: Anyone else having dark prints compared to a calibrated monitor at 80-100 cd/m^2?

zuru
Contributor

I've had this issue from day 0 with this printer, and I've learned to overcomnpensate brightness so that I can get a good print to monitor match.

Here is my rig:

-Mac, Mojave

-Canon pro-10

-latest driver (not airprint)

-Eizo CS240 monitor calibrated with i1 to 80 or 100 cd/m^2

I print either directly from Photoshop or PSP. I use a few different papers, but let's stay with Canon Luster Pro as it is forgiving.

When I print from PSP, I always need to increase the brightness bt +25 or so, and only then I can get a good match to the photo displayed on my calibrated monitor. If I don't do this then the photo comes out too dark. Soemthing similar happens if I print directly from Photoshop, and yes, I know how color management works and I am very careful of which app is doing the color management.

I have reinstalled the printer drivers several times, to no avail. At this point I don't know if this is an issue of the printer itself. I have another colleague in town with a similar rig and he also tells me that he always has to increase the brightness to similar levels.

FOr folks that have a calibrated workflow in this forum, do you see something similar? I know that this is a common question among beginners; but I am not. I can print to other printers fine.

thanks! 

9 REPLIES 9

zuru
Contributor

forgt to mention taht I do use the Canon icc profile for the Luster paper.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi zuru.

As a start, download and print this test image.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

Open it in your editing software and just print it, making no adjustments, regardless of how it looks on the screen.

How does it look? What is the lowest number black patch you can discern from its adjacent partner? How does that compare to what you see on the monitor.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John

You say: "Open it in your editing software and just print it"

this is not so simple. I print through Photoshop and using an ICC profile. Is this what you mean? Or do you mean, sending it to the printer directly from the OS (maybe through an integrated viewer; BTW, i'm on a mac). But then, who does the color management?

The link you sent doesn't have a file to download, but this one: http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi048/essay.html

has a tiff version in prophoto color space. 

Igal

The link I provided explains how to use the image. By clicking on the highlighted part it goes to the link you posted.

Annotation 2020-03-06 182718.jpg

You open the file in whatever software you use for photo editing. You do all the steps you would do to print any image, you just don't do anything to adjust how the image looks.

In your situation, since you have Ps manage color, you would select the ICC profile in Ps and the appropriate media type in the printer setup dialogue.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Let me refine this:

print, maybe path 14-16

screen: patch 10

Hi zuru.

Putting aside the comparison to screen, do you feel the print is too dark when viewed in your normal viewing conditions?

The objective should be to have the screen as close as possible to acceptable prints, not match the print to the screen.

If you want the printer to be printing a bit brighter there are options.

In Lightroom there is the ability to adjust print brightness. I don't know if Photoshop has this capability.

Annotation 2020-03-07 090144.jpg

If you are on macOS Mojave or lower you could use Canon Print Studio Pro.

Annotation 2020-03-07 090420.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks John,

That's what I've been doing since I bought this printer. I was wondering if there was something wrong with my workflow or my printer, but we seem to hit a wall here. But thanks for your help anyway.

John

OK, did what you suggested (and BTW, tried this on 2 Macs with exactly the same results).

The lowest black patch that can be discerned from its neighbors is around #12,14.

Print looks just a tad darker compared to the screen but not too much.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You could give Canon a call and see what they say. Maybe they have some diagnostic software that they could use by remote access.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements