cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing red rocks on Pro-100

boxerRT
Contributor

I've just returned from Monument Valley and can't get my prints to reproduce the reddish tones of the rocks. Despite my efforts the rocks print a yellowish tan. I'm using a 27" iMac running OS Monterey and editing with Capture One. I've run a nozzle check and it comes out clean. Any help please.

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There are many possible reasons for that. As a statrt, download and print this test image:

PrinterEvaluationImage_V002_ProPhoto.tif

Open the file in your editing software. Do not make any adjustments to it despite how it might look on screen. Configure your print dialogue as you normally would and print the image. Report back how the test image looks by itself as well as how it compares to your display.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hello John!  Thanks for taking this one for me.  The file you sent printed accurately. I guess that means I have a problem with my photo.

And yes, the monitor looks accurate as well.

I've set the color profile to "Managed by Printer".  I'm using Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster on my Pro-100 so I would not think that is the issue.  This is the third reply I've now sent back to you wit information you might be interested in since you sent the file.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If the print looks good and the display looks like your print we know the file to printer path is working properly. 

That also means that the image you took at MV should look the same on screen and print - does it?

If so you need to investigate what your editor is doing. Is the correct camera profile being used? 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

boxerRT
Contributor

The photographs I shot at Monument Valley look good on the screen. Beyond that, I am surprised at the results from there and photos from Antelope Canyon.  The photos don't have the tonal variation or the color I am hoping for. I don't understand what you mean when you ask if the camera profile is correct.  As far as I can tell the metadata as far as ISO, focal length and exposure is correct.

In Lightroom, when selecting RAW files for editing there are profile choices like Standard, Landscape, Faithful, Neutral. The affect how the colors are displayed on monitor. I don’t know about your editor. 

Are you saying that the colors displayed on your monitor aren’t how you remember or hope them to look?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The colors on the monitor are faithful to what I remember. The printer just won't print the reds from my photographs but did print the red rocks in the photograph of Monument Valley in the test print you sent.

BTW, I have all fresh inks.

Announcements