cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro-100 - prints only part of photos and then ejects page

GrandpaOfLoba
Apprentice

Hi!  I'm new here and to Canon, having just bought a Pixma Pro-100 printer.

Environment:

- Windows 10 and just updated the driver (which didn't help)

- Hard-wired ethernet connection

- Software doesn't make a difference (Photoshop CS6, Luminar, etc.)

- Various parameters tried

- Because I'm figuring out the printer, I'm using only letter-sized paper (8.5x11 inch)

- To spare ink, I'm using "other gloosy photo paper".

I bought this printer for photos.  The Windows test page printed fine. I got exactly one photo to print fully - one that was very cropped.

Other photos have gotten to, at most, 40% of the page (printing landscape).  Most often, it prints between 1/4 inch (1 cm) and one inch (2.54 cm).

So, it prints that portion of the page and then ejects.  Then, for some reason, it loads another page and tries again, with the same result.

Side effect:  When I cancel the print, the printer won't let me shut it off.  Pushing the power button, holding it in, nothing helps - except pulling the power plug.

I have never had such problems with any of my earlier photo printers. 

HELP!!!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Problem solved, at least for me.

Thank you, JR Hoffman, for your suggestion.  I'm so happy that I won't have to drive into Manhattan to B&H to return this printer in this pandemic.

** Solution:  Use USB connection to printer, not Ethernet or wifi **

Suggestions for consideration by Canon to make this problem go away...  (noting that I'm technical but ignorant of how images are processed within the printer)...

I surmised that my issue was caused by interruptions in the messages/commands being sent to the printer.  This could have been exacerbated by my prints being made from large image files, as well as a busy (though fast, 1gb/s) network.  I imagine it would be worse or more common with wifi than with wired Ethernet.

So, here goes:

• Increase buffer size in the printer, so the printer can absorb and process larger print files without interruptions.  I 
  • Support 1000Base-T (gigabit) Ethernet:  100BASE-T Ethernet is problematic.  On my gigabit Ethernet backbone, buffering in Ethernet switches and flow control are required, which likely caused my issues.  I suspect pauses in receiving messages were enough to convince the printer that the print job was done.
  • Another possibility would be to modify the print driver to pre-render the photo image on the computer so what's sent to the printer is smaller than the print file currently being sent.

Best regards,

Steve (GrandpaOfLoba)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

If you just bought it new from a dealer I would suggest you take it back.

I would hate to see a scenario where you wait for someone here to suggest solutions(s), you find they don't work and you run out of the exchange window.

There is Canon warranty, but it generally requires you to ship the printer back at your cost.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Problem solved, at least for me.

Thank you, JR Hoffman, for your suggestion.  I'm so happy that I won't have to drive into Manhattan to B&H to return this printer in this pandemic.

** Solution:  Use USB connection to printer, not Ethernet or wifi **

Suggestions for consideration by Canon to make this problem go away...  (noting that I'm technical but ignorant of how images are processed within the printer)...

I surmised that my issue was caused by interruptions in the messages/commands being sent to the printer.  This could have been exacerbated by my prints being made from large image files, as well as a busy (though fast, 1gb/s) network.  I imagine it would be worse or more common with wifi than with wired Ethernet.

So, here goes:

• Increase buffer size in the printer, so the printer can absorb and process larger print files without interruptions.  I 
  • Support 1000Base-T (gigabit) Ethernet:  100BASE-T Ethernet is problematic.  On my gigabit Ethernet backbone, buffering in Ethernet switches and flow control are required, which likely caused my issues.  I suspect pauses in receiving messages were enough to convince the printer that the print job was done.
  • Another possibility would be to modify the print driver to pre-render the photo image on the computer so what's sent to the printer is smaller than the print file currently being sent.

Best regards,

Steve (GrandpaOfLoba)

Announcements