cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro-100 printing from PS on a Mac - Questions

darrinS
Contributor

I recently purchased this printer and I'm happy with my prints, but I'd really like to make sure I'm getting everything out of it. I have read the manual, searched this forum and Google and just don't find my answers. All the example images for the printer settings look different than what I have. Your help is really appreciated.

I shoot RAW, convert to .dng in Lightroom and then edit in Photoshop. I transfer the image to PS as a 16bit Adobe RGB .PSD. When I'm ready to print I am using the PS print dialogue. I did install Print Studio Pro and did print with it but didn’t notice any real difference.

My main question is are my settings correct? I choose to let my printer manage color. I go to Print Settings and choose my Canon paper, and when I look at the Color Options, I don't see Adobe RGB as a choice. I only have Standard, Landscape and Graphics. I have been choosing Standard.

Below are screen grabs from my Mac. Again, any advice and assistance is really appreciated.

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 8.22.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-18 at 8.23.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-18 at 8.23.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-18 at 8.24.17 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Glad to help. If you will only be printing on Canon paper then the settings you selected are correct.

If you want to use third-party papers (such as Red River) then you need to be selecting the paper supplier ICC profiles, so then you need to get into having application manage things.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi Darrin. Welcome to the forum. 

PSP won't change the print quality. It's primary benefit is selecting all the right "switches" when printing from Photoshop or Lightroom. 

Adobe RGB is not a printer profile, so you won't see it in the print module. 

My my recommendation would be to let Photoshop manage color and then select the media type and ICC profile in Photoshop. When you select Printer Manages you will get those options because you told the printer to do the thinking. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

darrinS
Contributor
Thanks for your help and time!

Glad to help. If you will only be printing on Canon paper then the settings you selected are correct.

If you want to use third-party papers (such as Red River) then you need to be selecting the paper supplier ICC profiles, so then you need to get into having application manage things.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I really like the look of the Canon Luster paper and it's reasonably priced. For now, that's my paper of choice.

Really glad you looked at my settings and gave me your feedback and advice. I am so happy with this printer.

It is a great printer. If you keep an eye out you can find sales on ink at Staple's website. That, coupled with credits for turning in cartridges helps keep ink cost down.

If strking color is an important feature in a print give Photo Paper Pro Platinum a try.

Photo paper Pro Premium Matte is a good choice for B&W and more subtle color prints.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi. A couple more questions.

If I select to have PS manage colors, then I see the warning telling me to disable color management in the printer settings. How is this done? I also see the same warning when I choose to let the printer manage colors, but is says to enable in the printer settings.

Also, when choosing to have PS manage colors, I see two choices for my paper in the printer profiles section. Pixma Pro-100 <LU> 3 Photo Paper Pro Luster and Pixma Pro-100 <LU> 1/2 Photo Paper Pro Luster. Which would I choose?

Thank you so much again. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
See this article

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/infocenter/articles/canon-pro-100-review-introduction-first-look-gett...

I get back on turning off color management.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I use Lightroom, but I believe PS is the same. When you select the software to manage color the driver automatically disables color management. If you go to the color management section of the driver everything is grayed out.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you again! I see now in PS the same thing. Didn't notice that before.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements