cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 100 printing dark and muddy

keetha
Contributor

Hi, 

I have seen several threads about this and tried to read those over and learn from them first but I'll admit to being so lost.

I've had the printer since August and previously had a PC with Windows 8. Since December, I've been using a Mac. With both computers, though, I always got dark and muddy prints, especially with blues and greens.  I have installed drivers and looked for any software updates and the Canon website says I'm up to date. But when I go to print something, in the drop down box there are two options for paper - plain and photo. With my PC, there were a dozen or more options (matte paper, glossy paper, art paper, etc.).

I have installed ICC profiles from Red River Paper, as I did with the PC.

On a previous thread, I saw to go to Canon My Printer and then to settings. I'm guessing that's software? I don't seem to have that on my computer. I looked online and it came up on various software download sites but not the Canon web site. I am leery about installing from one of those web sites so I didn't.

After reading another thread, I went in to PhotoShop and selected a different color space (Adobe 1998).

I apologize for being so lost but apparently I am in need of super-simplified instructions. I cannot seem to figure this out. It's so frustrating and discouraging. I appreciate any help! 

Thank you!

28 REPLIES 28

Thank you for your quick reply!  What special equipment would I need?  

I have a lot of the recycled stock and like it, but I will check out Red River paper too.

To make an ICC profile for a printer you need a profiling package. This normally includes a measurement instrument, a test target, and a software program which can read the measurements and generate the profile.

For an output device (display or printer) color patches are displayed or printed and then measured. For an input device, a scanner, the test target supplied with the profiling package is captured and measurements of the target will usually be available within the software.

Once the software has the device data and the corresponding measurements, it proceeds to create the data structures which form the profile.

Photoshop can be used but you will probably need the X-Rite calibration (Munkey) gadgets, too.  SampleICC is a open source utility that might help you as it will parse and modifiy existing ICC profiles.  At any rate this will require a learning curve on your part as I don't feel like you are into this very deeply.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Using recycled card stock may be a false economy.

The issue in printing is to bring some stability and reproducability to the process so that colors look the same, or close, each time one prints.

That is why makers of photo papers go to great lengths to be certain the color, surface, weight and absorption characteristics of their papers are stable.

Who knows what requirements were placed on the makers of the recycled card stock?  

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Forum rules don't let us post businesses, but if you Google printer profile suppliers you will find some options.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for all your great suggestions.  I'll check all of these options.

tollesonanne
Contributor

Don't apoligize! I have tried many of the recommended fixes for dark and muddy prints but to no avail. I have had many printers but something is wrong with this one since so many people are having the same problem. My printer will soon be put on ebay. I have spent too much time and experienced too much frustration to keep it.

I understand why you are frustrated, but I really think it's worth persevering.  I'm getting much better results after following this thread and making mini tweaks to get there.  I'm comparing it to making the tweaks in a physical darkroom.  As said earlier, this is a sensitive printer which means it can create real subtleties once you figure out how to work with it.

To both of you ....

This is a fine printer.  There are 1000's out there that don't have issues.  You have to remember the more better any piece of equipment is the more difficult or less user friendly it is.  Which is easier to use PS or Windows Paint?  Windows Paint of course but does it do what PS can?  No, it can't.  Is G15 P&S easier to use than a 1Dx?  Yes, it is but can it do all that the 1 series camera can?  Of course not.

9 times out of 10 the printer is doing exactly what you are telling it to.  Unless you have a faulty or broken one, that is.

And the number one cause of that is a poorly adjusted monitor.  Closely followed by using the wrong ICC profiles.

I sell prints from my machine.  Some are pretty pricey, too.  A lot of times you get keyboard jocks that just like to complain so take some of the bad press you have read and chaulk it up to user error.  They just have no idea of what they are doing.  Like a lot of posters, even here, that love to show links to something they read.  But they never put into actual practice.

If you are comparing two different printers and say two different papers, etc., it may be impossibile to get exactly the same output.  But it isn't a fault of the printer. I worked for Hallmark for 40 years and believe me we spent tons of time trying to match and make sure colors match.  It is just no simple task especially if you are comparing colored light and printer dyes.

Get the monitor right and use the correct profile and you are well on your way.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Davo123
Apprentice

Try this when printing from Photoshop 🙂

File -> Automate -> Canon Studio Pro - some good paper/print editing tools in here.

This is a photoshop plug-in meant to give higher quality print results when using Canon Printer. 

In my experience, printing on matte paper is 100% better!!!

karee

Announcements