cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro-100 Leaving Smudges/Streaks on last part of 13x19" print

pmilligan
Apprentice

Hi guys, I am in desperate need of help as I have several customer orders that I can't fulfill because my printer just stopped functioning correctly today. I have a Pixma Pro-100, and I have printed several hundred 13x19" prints with it. Today, it started adding black smudges/streaks on either side of the last few inches of every 13x19" print.

I cleaned the printhead, aligned it, cleaned the nozzles, and even took the printhead out and cleaned it using the "soak in shallow water" method, before letting it dry completely. It still produces the same black smudges/streaks on either side of the last few inches of the prints. 

When I remove the printhead after a print, I can notice what looks like black ink build up all around the bottom brown part where the ink sprays out from the printhead. I've tried wiping it off with an alcohol wipe and reinstalling the printhead. Nothing seems to work. 

I should also note that the sponge that soaks up excess ink inside the printer seems to be really full of wet ink. I tried soaking up as much as I could with paper towels and got quite a lot of it out of there. It seems to me that this couldn't be the problem, though, because the smudges are on the printed side of the paper and not the rear side.

Can anyone help me, please? 

38 REPLIES 38

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Have you tried roller and bottom plate cleaning?

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have the same general problem. I have performed the roller cleaning several times, the bottom plate cleaning maybe 30 times with various weights of paper, I have ink streaks and excessive ink on prints of about  3/16" x 2-3" streaks x 3 to 4 of them groued in upper left corner, and misc spots. I recently chnaged ink cartdriges (canon) becasue the black was not printing correctly. So I repalced all of them and now the splotches/streaks occur. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have ink on the rollers in the paper path.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
All paper or just heavyweight paper in manual load.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

All paper. I used 20#, 60# offset, 110# assuming it would absorb more. some ink reduction but not much. Problem still remains. The original problem started because black wasn't printing. So I am wondering if the head is bad? And when I added the new cartridges maybe the ink couldn't pass through the head???? I don't know. Thanks for the response BTW.

JgAutographs
Contributor

try this go into the prtiner utility, chose custom from the drop down menu, and select prevent paper abrasion in the dialog box, it slightly raises your print head, i was having a similar issue. custom.jpg

Sheena
Apprentice

I had the same issue recently.  After trying all the usual fixes with no success, I called Canon.  She suggested what someone else recommended in August:  go to  Printer Utility, and select "Custom Settings " in the dropdown menu.  Then check "Prevent Paper Abrasion".  This did solve the issue, but the Canon representative, said it would be only a temporary fix.  Also, printing with this setting slows down the printing process a bit.  

Hope this helps.

I'm on Windows 7. Is there a Printer Utility availabe or am I just overlooking it? I'm having the same issues with the smearing. Thanks!

Go through Control Panel.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements