cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro-100 Color Matching on iPad Pro

LaurenN
Contributor
We purchased this printer to use to create prints of drawings done in Adobe Draw on an iPad Pro. We did a test run, and the colors are super muted and don’t match the original drawing. We have both searched the forums, but we can only find directions for adjusting color in programs on a Mac or Windows system. We haven’t found any ways of adjusting (or even accessing) printer settings on the iPad. Hoping someone can help, as without being able to match the colors much more closely, this is not going to work for us. 😕

Thank you!!
36 REPLIES 36

Hi Lauren.

I tried an experiment.

I printed the Outback Photo test image and then scanned it to create a PDF.

I then opened the image in Adobe Acrobaret reader and Foxit (another PDF reader).

I only scanned at 300dpi, an my scanner is jjust a Canon All-in One printer, so the scan file wasn't as good as the photo print, but the print of the scan file was very close to the display and the photo print.

Can you post a link (or Private Message me) the PDF file you are trying to print so I can see what happens if I try to print it?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your efforts!  I am trying to attach a PDF, but can't.  Hopefully this link will work.  Side note, in trying to export to PDF from Draw, it would not rotate the image to the proper orientation, so it's in portrait when it should be in landscape.  The fun with this never ends. LOL.  I am also attaching the JPG, so that it looks like it should.  Also, I'd prefer to print from Lightroom or Draw directly, so PDF may not be the ideal format anyway.  PNGs or JPGs would be the best way, don't you think?IMG_2797.JPG

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fr3i10ErGrdz8O2qJy04KzjyBra6cg2I/view?usp=sharing

Thank you!

Hi Lauren. 

I don't have Adobe Draw, but I opened the linked file in Photoshop and it printed like the image in your post when I use my iPad. I also exported the file from Photoshop an a JPEG file and printed it from Lightroom. Looked like the iPad image. 

If Draw let's you export as a jpeg it seems like you could then import to LR and print. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

LaurenN
Contributor
If it’s printing well for you without adjustments, do you think that means I need to tweak some settings on our end? In printing from LR, the color did not match the image. I am still unclear about whether it’s a color setting within the laptop or LR (and I’m confused as to why the calibration image printed accurately, but nothing else does).

I don't either. Are you printing on the same paper?

I'm at a loss. 

If the test image on screen looks like the print when using Lightroom I can't explain why a different image on screen would not like it looks on screen (as long as nothing else is being varied). 

Depending on how far off things are you could use Canon Print Studio Pro and print a pattern print. It varies the settings and you pick the image you like and make those adjustments when printing. 

Do you have a camera club near you where maybe someone could help you?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

LaurenN
Contributor
Hi John,

I am looking more closely at the calibration images and I’m wondering how to use it properly. There are a few images that show that the color doesn’t look as bright on the printed image as they do on the screen. Once I pinpoint those problems, how am I supposed to use the information to make corrections? For example, the rocks with the cyan sky and the trees with the yellow leaves. If the cyan and the yellow aren’t as crisp as they should be, are there specific settings that’s connected to?

Thanks again for your help!

Hi Lauren.

The concept behind the Outback Photo test image is that it is a "perfect" digital file and the printer output should look like it. Then the computer display is adjusted to look like, as close as possible, the print. Then, when you are editing different images you will have confidence that they will print like the computer display.

But, printers do have tolerances, and your own perception of how things should look can come into play.

The test image has a number of "memory colors" that can be used for calibrating.

First importance is monitor brightness. The answer to "my prints are too dark" is almost always "your monitor is too bright".

When you are ready to print the test image you can go into the printer driver - select Page Setup and the Properties in Lightroom.

Annotation 2020-06-16 184735.jpg

When the driver opens make the other selections to print a pattern display.

Annotation 2020-06-16 183536.jpg

Print the pattern print.

It will have a number of thumbnails with different values of C, Y, M or Brightness/Contrast, depending on which pattern you selected.

You can then dial those in the printer driver and save it as a preset.

Annotation 2020-06-16 185256.jpg

Annotation 2020-06-16 185407.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements