cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro-100 Color Matching on iPad Pro

LaurenN
Contributor
We purchased this printer to use to create prints of drawings done in Adobe Draw on an iPad Pro. We did a test run, and the colors are super muted and don’t match the original drawing. We have both searched the forums, but we can only find directions for adjusting color in programs on a Mac or Windows system. We haven’t found any ways of adjusting (or even accessing) printer settings on the iPad. Hoping someone can help, as without being able to match the colors much more closely, this is not going to work for us. 😕

Thank you!!
36 REPLIES 36

LaurenN
Contributor
I can’t seem to edit this post, but wanted to add that I printed a photograph and am having the same issue. It doesn’t look “bad,” but the colors are dull and don’t match the photo in terms of vibrancy or even shade, in some cases.

Greetings,

The potential for problems like this will exist with any printer.  Correct color accuracy and rendition depend on several things.  

Monitor calibration

ICC Color profiles

Correct media type selection

What you see might not be what you get.  This is because the actual colors in the photo may not match what you see on your screen.  

This is why correct monitor calibration is important. Apple increases the brightness and saturation on their iPhones and iPADs, but this may not reflect the actual brightness and colors in a image file.  

ICC profiles or color space define the colors on input and output devices.  Again, the color space of your input (iPAD) and output (printer) device must match in order for true and accurate colors to be reproduced. (brightness, tone, saturation, etc)

Media types.  Inks react differently depending on the settings used and type of paper you are printing on.

Further.  photos saved on your iPAD often use compression, (to save space) so the actual data (colors) etc in a picture may not contain all of the data your printer needs to interpret and accurately print a photo. 

Bottom line.  Printing from an iPAD is not an ideal way to obtain the best results.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

LaurenN
Contributor
Thank you so much for the reply! Given that the iPad Pro is what we’ve got right now, is there a way for us to change the monitor calibration or any other settings to achieve a truer representation of what we’re seeing on the screen? Would using an app light Lightroom help? (I know nothing about that program, but I’ll look into it if it’s worthwhile.)

Greetings,

I don't think you can calibrate an iPAD.  Function there is limited, but a good photo app such as Ps or Lr should help.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

All the issues Rick identified will affect how an image finally prints on your printer.

I am not able to link my Pro-100 to my iPad for some reason, but I can link my MX472, so you may be able to use this approach":

1. install the Canon Print inkjet/selphy app on the iPad.

2. export your document from Adobe into the iPad Photos app.

3. select the document in the Canon app and select your size, paper, etc.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

LaurenN
Contributor
We have been doing what John suggested with regards to how we print the images. The other problem we are now encountering is that images in portrait orientation only print landscape from the iPad and there is no way to change that?! Can that be true??

Good morning Lauren. 

I can only link to my MX472, but I opened a landscape oriented image and it printed landscape. Opened a portrait oriented image and it printed portrait. 

I printed on letter size plain paper. 

If you can't duplicate what I did give Canon a call at (866) 261-9362. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

LaurenN
Contributor
Thanks for your assistance. Canon’s only suggestion was not to use the iPad. 😑. So, I am using a Toshiba laptop. The print quality is 100% better, but the colors still don’t match. My new question is: When I am in the Canon printer app, I am able to adjust all of the color settings, but if the image looks right on the screen off the bat, how does one know what to adjust it to to get it to look the right way when it prints?! Is that just trial and error and wasting a ton of ink?! And once you figure it out for one pic, can you use those same adjustments for all pics? I’d love to show you what’s going on if there’s a way to upload photos here, but I am not seeing that option. Thanks so much for your help!

I don't know how much adjustment capability the Toshiba will give you, but btween the laptop and adkustments in the printer you may be able to get close.

Download the test image from the folowing link. Open it in your photo software and print it using all the correct printer settings for paper and profiles, but do not make any editing adjustments in the software.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

The print should be good - it is a calibrated image. If it doesn't look good you will need to make sure printer is functioning correctly.

Make whatever brightness and color asjustments you can make in the laptop to get the laoptop display to get as close as possible to the print.

Download and install Canon Print Studio Pro from the Canon support site. Using PSP you can print a pattern print that varies the different inks. Find the image that looks like the test print and dial those settings into your printer.

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrintStudioPro/M/1.4/EN/DPPG/top.html

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrintStudioPro/M/1.4/EN/DPPG/dppg_3-03.html

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrintStudioPro/M/1.3/EN/PSP/Top.html

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrintStudioPro/M/1.3/EN/PSP/psp-205.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements