cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper Opinions

nsoltz
Contributor
Any opinions on Canson vs Hahnemuhle vs Redriver art papers? I realize each has many paper varities but just looking for general observations about each line
3 REPLIES 3

nsoltz
Contributor
Forgot to note— using Pro 1000

bellevuefineart
Enthusiast

I like the Hahnemuhle papers a lot. They're always very high quality, although the matte papers tend to flake and scratch easily. But the print quality and consistency is great. Note that Hahnemuhle has good profiles for the Pro-1000. I've tested many of them, and they're very good. They also provide am1x files that setup paper types for your printer and the Print Studio Pro plugin. If you don't use their am1x files and just use the profiles they provide, you need to be very sure to use High Density Fine Art as the media type or your prints will look washed out. 

Hahnemuhle papers I use a LOT are: 

Photo Rag Bright White

Bamboo Rag

Photo Rag Satin

Fine Art Pearl

Fine Art Baryta

The one Canson paper I like, and just can't replace anywhere else is the Aquarelle, otherwise known as Arches, which is a watercolor paper. Best textured watercolor paper their is for giclee printing. I did not like their profile and have built my own, and now get very good results with it. 

Red River makes good paper, and OEMs their paper under different brands. Their Photo Metalic Pearl is quite nice. I have not yet tried the profile for the Metallic Pearl or tried to make my own yet, but it's on the list. 

If you like matte rag papers, then you should also consider the Moab Entrada Bright White and Natural White. The Moab profiles are also good in my opinion. I've made my own, but it's not too much better than the one on their website. 

nsoltz
Contributor
Thank you so much!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements