cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO 10 colors completely off

dddenise
Contributor

First, I am printing from a Mac, OS 10.15.3, and printing my image from IPhoto and Preview. I haven't used my Pro-10 in a while, so I made sure the driver was current and all the ink tanks were full.  I put Canon photo paper in the printer and matched the type to the type in the dialog box.  All systems go.  However, when my print came out, a rich blue navy blue blazer was a murky purple, not even close to navy.  Black wrought iron rails were also purple.   I printed the same file on a Brother printer, and the color was fairly accurate, although the detail not quite as good.  How can I get the color to match the screen on my Canon Pro 10?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hello dddenise.

1. since you said you hadn't used your Pro-10 in a while did you do a nozzle check?

2. when you installed the latest driver from the Canon website did you install the Airprint version or the Canon Pro-10 Series version?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Greetings,

Without seeing the results, its hard to say. 

Also, might you have double color management in your workflow.  Pink , magenta, and purpulish casts can often point to this.  As of now though without knowing and seeing your results I'm just adding it as a possibility. 

Agree  with rs-eos - Color calibration is important

Also agree with John's suggestion...  Nozzle check for a printer thats been sitting for a while.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

For accurate colors, you'll need to ensure a proper workflow.  To include calibrating your Mac's display and the Canon printer.

Also, when capturing the image, how was it captured?  And what software did you use to do any corrections to it?

When needing true WSYIWYG, I first capture a photo of a color checker under the current lighting conditions.  I also calibrate my iMac Pro's display.  When editing in Lightroom or Photoshop, I first adjust any colors as needed from the color checker reference photo.  Then, for printing, I calibrate the printer for the particular paper I'm using.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

These photos were shot on a very high end professional Canon camera by a professional photographer.  They were uploaded to a web site as jpgs where I downloaded them.  I doubt they were shot in Raw.  Most of the photos are between 15-20 mb and had no corrections.  I opened them in Photoshop elements and made some corrections, nothing overall, just tweaks here and there. What is the color checker reference photo you refer to?

There are different brands, but I use Datacolor's products. A SpyderChecker is captured by a photo in the particular lighting setup. Other photos then captured of the product or subject. I use a SpyderX Elite to calibrate my Mac's display. There is a workflow for creating a custom color profile based on the first captured image. Other products have different processes. But the premise is the same. The colors in the captured photos are adjusted to match the color swatches of the SpyderCheckr or similar product.

In summary, this is a process to ensure that colors in real life are captured in a photo, show up on your display, and ultimately printed as accurately as possible.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I understand, but why would the Brother printer be so color accurate. just lucky?

Greetings,

Without seeing the results, its hard to say. 

Also, might you have double color management in your workflow.  Pink , magenta, and purpulish casts can often point to this.  As of now though without knowing and seeing your results I'm just adding it as a possibility. 

Agree  with rs-eos - Color calibration is important

Also agree with John's suggestion...  Nozzle check for a printer thats been sitting for a while.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That was it.  Cyan head clogged.  Can't believe I didn't think of it!  Thank you!

Thank you!  Turns out I had a clogged cyan print head.  Fixing this corrected most of the problem, but I will get the Spyder CheckerX Elite to get me the rest of the way there.

I was hoping this would be the solution to my similar problem, but it was not to be. I have new PC customized for photo work, Eizo monitor, Eizo EX3 color calibration, new Pixma Pro-10 printer.  I have calibrated, cleaned the nozzles, confirmed there is no conflict between the printer and lightroom (I think)  but I am just not getting the correct reds.  I have downloaded a printer evaluation image and based on the descriptions of each of the colors my reds are definitely off, very much on the orange side. The description with the test image says “The strawberries should look like you want to pick them off the paper and eat them; if the printer has issues with red, these strawberries won’t look appealing at all."  Mine are a muddy reddish orange.  Any thoughts?  everything looks great on the monitor.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hello dddenise.

1. since you said you hadn't used your Pro-10 in a while did you do a nozzle check?

2. when you installed the latest driver from the Canon website did you install the Airprint version or the Canon Pro-10 Series version?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements