cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPI/DPI Quandary and Bryta mystery

rjsphd
Contributor

I am printing on my new pro-1000 using Lightroom Classic and the Canon Professional Print & Layout (PP&L) plugin.

I have set the Print Resolution in Lr C to 300 PPI.  PP&L tells me that I am  printing at 240 DPI.  How do I reconcile the difference? Is the 240 DPI the best I can do?  I cannot find a setting for DPI in PP&L. Is 300 PPI the right setting for this printer?

Also, the Canon website says that the printer menu screen should be set to Baryta for this kind of paper.  I have a Baryta setting in the print driver on my (iMac) computer, but there is no Baryta setting  to choose on the printer's menu screen.  What's up with that?  Since the print driver seems to control the output, do the menu settings for size and paper on the print screen even matter?

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe when you choose to print from PP&L you bypass the LrC print module. At least that is what happens with Print Studio Pro.

To determine if this is true for PP&L select an image in the Develop or Library module and see if you can actuate PP&L via the Plug-In Extras menu.

If so, what you set in LrC doesn't matter, and you also lose the LrC print sharpening algorithm.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

rjsphd
Contributor
Thanks John.
What about the 240 DPI? PP&L showed that number for all of my prints. Is that adjustable or optimal?

I don't know about that. PSP shows the same value of 240 when I call it from Lightroom LrC and I have never found a way to change it.

Canon DPP shows 72 even though everywhere in DPP where I can set a value it is set to 300.

I don't know when/if it actually comes in to play.

I don't use PSP anymore since I never saw an advantage over direct printing from LrC.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements