cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magenta cast at the top of prints with Canon Pro-1000

DariusHosseini
Contributor

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have been consistently printing with my Canon Pro-1000 for almost 3 years now. I am experiencing the following issue with many of my prints:

Correct appearanceCorrect appearance

Magenta cast at top of printMagenta cast at top of print

I have run numerous cleaning cycles, deep cleaning cycles and even system cleaning. My nozzle checks were very hit and miss. Sometimes they'd come out fine, but it wouldn't take long for them to indicate issues again. I have even since replaced the printhead, but I was shocked to find the yellow colour still not coming through properly on the nozzle check. This didn't make any sense to me, because how could a brand new printhead be clogged prior to printing anything but the head alignment sheets?

Anyway, it only took one clean to fix this issue and I generally don't have any problems with my nozzle checks. However, the magenta cast is STILL appearing and even Canon's support seem absolutely baffled by this!

This is not a consistent issue and does not occur on every print. It also seems less likely to occur on a borderless print.

Would anyone have any idea as to what the issue could be that is causing this?

Any help is much appreciated.

37 REPLIES 37

Hi Danjmo, I have the same issue, did you find a solution and cause? And can I ask if you use genuine Canon or third party inks?

Many thanks

Bhavin UK

Hi Bhavin,

No solution to this yet sadly. Still happening randomly, is that the same for you?

Using Canon inks – you? 

Cheers, Dan 

Thanks for the quick reply Dan.

I'm using third party ink and paper. So I can eliminate those as potential factors. So it first happened 6 months ago and after a thorough manual clean by an engineer (working on behalf of Canon UK) it was fixed. It then appeared again last week!

Are you in the UK?

Many thanks

Bhavin 

No problem, sorry to hear you're experiencing this too and not an issue with ink or paper type.

I'm based in the UK and had printer for a few years with no problems until late last year, eventually replaced the print head thinking that would definitely solve the issue but it reappeared within a few days! Very frustrated and considering the switch to Epson! 

Ah that's unfortunate, so that means you're out of warranty? I'm still covered till June 24 so am trying to get a fix before I run out of time. Or I may have to look at Epson too! 

When it was fixed for me the last time, the engineer soaked up lots of excess ink from the sponges at the bottom of the printer. After this he did some regular cleaning - nozzle/roller etc, it then started to work perfectly again. Nothing else was changed. 

One other thing to eliminate, do you print borderless right to the edge? I do, and have a feeling that this is why I have excess ink in the sponges. Maybe this is the cause? 

Thanks

Bhavin

Yes, way out of warranty unfortunately! I had some issues with a previous Canon printer that they fixed within warranty period and had no further issues so would definitely pester for a replacement while you still can if the engineer visit didn't fix it. UK consumer law can be quite useful! 

I do mainly borderless printing but can't really see why excess ink in the sponges would cause one ink to misfire randomly - and does always seem to be the yellow based on posts here and other forums. I'm thinking it's a firmware/driver/software glitch possibly? 

Good luck with getting it sorted one way or another, I will live in hope of a simpler (non-warranty) fix one day!

That's a shame. Will defo push for that, thanks. None of it makes sense to me! But its seems that the issue with the yellow is common, but the reason behind it is a mystery. I've tired so many variations of ink, paper, firmware, driver computer hardware etc etc that I think that the issue is within the printer itself. Will post on here if I even get to the bottom of it! 

Cheers

Bhavin 

Hi Dan

Still in the process of sorting this. I wanted to ask if you print borderless, I have a theory that this might be connected to the issue. 

Many thanks

Bhavin 

Yes mainly borderless

Hi. Quick update – been trying a few things. This issue seems to occur with portrait images only so far and I've discovered that the issue goes away for me if I rotate the image 90º and set it to print as landscape. It's a weird fix but has worked for all of my problematic images so far! Which again leads me to thinking it's a firmware/software issue... will update if any more issues but worth a try? I'd be interested to see if it works for you.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements