cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cropping Pixma Pro-100

harmstrong
Contributor

I'm just beginning to use my Pixma Pro-100 printer. The quality is outstanding!

I have a question about cropping. I'm using 4x6 paper, and, for this application, I would like the photo to pring on the whole piece of paper.

I went into Lightroom and selected the proper aspect ratio and cropped the photo.

The screenshot is what it looked like in Lightroom.

The photo attached is how it printed (don't mind the awful lighting and glare...just pay attention to what was cropped out further by the printer compared to what I cropped in Lightroom.

What's going on here, and how can I print on paper the crop I see in Lightroom?

PS-I could not figure out how to get the bottom image in the proper orientation. It shows up in the proper orientation on my screen, but uploads 90 degrees off.

Thanks,

HeidiScreen Shot 2018-01-16 at 21.49.47.pngIMG_0031.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Heidi.

Choose Bordered (x1). If you don't want to clip any of the image in the frame measure the frame lip and set the margin there. You will probably find that one set of margins will be larger than the other.

The other ting you can do is select "Print the margins in black". That will make the border less visible incase things dont fit perfectly.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Looks like you are printing Borderless. The printer “enlarges” the image slightly to be sure the entire paper surface is covered with ink.

You could try cropping the image larger (making the subject slightly smaller) to allow for the image extension. 

Also you could try printing using Print Studio Pro.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

harmstrong
Contributor
Thank you (again) for your helpful response.

I printed this from LR using the PSP plug-in.

I did indeed print it borderless. I think I’ll try cropping it again in LR making the image larger to allow for the image extension.

If you want to put a photo in a 4x6 frame and to not see borders in that frame (and therefore maximize the size of the image), where do you set the borders in PSP.

I appreciate your help and time. You’re right. I love this printer!!

Hi Heidi.

Choose Bordered (x1). If you don't want to clip any of the image in the frame measure the frame lip and set the margin there. You will probably find that one set of margins will be larger than the other.

The other ting you can do is select "Print the margins in black". That will make the border less visible incase things dont fit perfectly.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

There are two screenshots below. 

The first is when I choose Bordered (x1). You can see how big the border is. Were I to frame this in a 4x6 frame, it would look pretty silly.Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 10.39.12.png

I noticed that there is a red box around the photo that I can drag out and create a larger image with a smaller border. Screen shot below.

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 10.37.33.png

This would look a lot better framed. 

My questions are: 1) Is there a button or tool in PSP that I can use to center the larger image horizontally and vertically or do I just have to "eyeball" it? and 2) It looks like the aspect ratio is maintained when I drag the red box out to create a larger image; is that indeed true?

Thanks so much!

Heidi

Hi Heidi. Yes aspect ratio is maintained even when using the Crop Tool.

For some reason you arent seeing the same as I see in the right hand panel - I'll have to see about that.

Just figured it out - toggle the arrow in the bar that says Layout.

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 12.42.27 PM.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

Perfect. Your answer was very helpful. I didn't realize (obvously) that I could toggle the arror in the bar that says Layout.

This led to two additional software navigation questions while I was playing around wtih the software (because that's how I learn).

First, if I go to the color settings and I mess with the color curve at the bottom, there is no "undoing" what I've just done, either by keystrokes on my Mac or or in PSP "edit" menu across the top of the screen. How do I easily undo what I've done messing with the color curve?

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 12.19.40.png

Second, how do I revert back to the original photo in PSP (in this case the one with the checkmark by it in the bottom left above) and print that photo once I've messed wtih the color curve.

I tried shutting down PSP and reloading it, but it ends up loading the image above, with the color curve messed up.

Third, if I decide I want to print a different photo and go to LR, then choose PSP from LR, the next image opens, subject to the same color curve correction I made on the previous photo (see attached screen shot). So, I'm guessng that messing with the color settings messes with printer settings and whatever I change in that tap remains changed until I undo the changes. In other words, this tab messes with the printer rather than messing with each photo that loads into PSP. I hope I'm making sense...

Thank you for your help!

Heidi

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 12.27.23.png

Scroll the panel down further and click Defaults.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

That took care of it!  

I've read the manual, and a lot of stuff isn't in there. Can you recommend another resource for me to read?

Thanks so much.

Heidi

I don't know any other resource. I just click things to see what they do if I'm not sure.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements