cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pro-10 black and shadows matte vs. glossy

kgalle
Apprentice

Hello, I am new to my Canon Pro-10 printer and can't find driver or image adjustments that will give smooth gradation of blacks. I am using InkOwl ink and TurboPrint on Linux with default settings in general. I also tried the Windows driver and from MacOS, with no real difference.

I started with an admittedly cheap glossy paper, "pen&gear glossy." The images seemed fine except for the blacks which had a mottled appearance. See upper right corner of image. I tried adjusting various settings one at a time and none had any effect on this issue. (Image 1)  I decided this was an issue with the paper and switched to some matte inkjet paper that I had from my years-ago attempts using an Epson photo printer, which was from MIS Associates.

With this matte paper, the results are better. If I print to this paper using the glossy paper setting in the driver, I get a reasonable print, though the blacks are not as black as they could be. (Image 2) If I switch to the matte paper setting however, I get a darker print overall, but also one where all the details in the shadows are completely lost and it prints as total black. (Image 3)  For comparison I scanned a grey card and marked on the prints where this grey seemed to match. (Image 4)  Images were scanned without any color correction.Image 1Image 1Image 2Image 2Image 3Image 3Image 4Image 4

I plan on ordering paper that matches the choices in the driver, so I'm not guessing on what paper most closing matches the paper I am using. But the switch between matte and glossy seems to have the greatest effect.

Any thoughts on why the shadows on the glossy paper came out so badly?

Any advice on how to correct the image either before printing, or in the printer driver, so I end up with a range of shadows with matte paper?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hello.

Looks like you are using third party inks, non-Canon paper and a third party printer driver. Far too many variables.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hello.

Looks like you are using third party inks, non-Canon paper and a third party printer driver. Far too many variables.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Fair point, I'll work on reducing the variable count.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I agree with John and the best I can offer is "good luck"!

Great B&W printing is difficult enough without adding variables.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements