cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Shut Down After Third Party Ink Install (Twice!)

daverobbins
Apprentice

I had a very odd experience with two different Canon Pixma Pro 9000 printers. I use a third party ink and have been using them without a problem for the last year, but just recently, my Canon Pixma Pro 9000 randomly powered down and would not power back up after I installed a black ink cartridge. I thought the printer finally just gave up and so I decided to buy another one on Craigslist. I powered it up and ran a few test prints with the ink that came with it with no problems. Then I switched over the ink cartridges from the old printer AND THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED. My printer powered off and won't power back on and there isn't anything I can do to get it to turn back on. Now I've got two really heavy paper weights and no printer. I know that I've read about how some printers have something in the firmware where if it recognizes third party ink, it effectively "kills" the printer.

Has this happened to anyone else and is there a way to do a hard reset of the printer if it won't power on? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I can see having problems with 3rd party ink, but Canon doesn't program a "kill switch" into the printer if you install 3rd party inks.  It may not work, refuse to print, have inaccurate colors, etc...  but not die. Not because of something Canon did or didn't do anyway. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your reply Rick. Yea, I didn't find any issues with the third party ink shutdown thing in other forums; just one article about HP potentially including that in their firmware.

My other thought was that one of the chips on the ink cartridge was defective and somehow shorted out the electronics in both printers. Is that a thing that can happen?

I tried putting in a full set of OEM cartridges back in to see if it would reset the printer somehow, but no luck. Is there anyway to do a "hard reset" by holding a combination of buttons for a certain amount of time?

Good morning,

Print heads can be sensitive.  I suppose anything is possible.  The chips in the cartridges can only be read, they don't supply any power themselves.  Catastrophic failure "by chip" seems unlikely.

No reset procedure I could find.  Make sure your are using a known good power source.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements