cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma Pro 100 not printing with Photoshop on Mac Big Sur

Netvet007
Contributor

I have a 2019 iMac Retina running Big Sur 11.6.4.  I am using Photoshop cc 22 Version 23.2.

My Pixma Pro 100 will print from Lightroom but not Photoshop.

The print settings button will not come on if "Photoshop Manages color" is selected.  I am then unable to set any of my paper settings.  I chose the ITJ version of the printer (not AirPrint) and have tried many times to remove the printer and re-add it. All that did was create more work for me in restoring my preference presets.  My inks are not run down, and I have cleaned the print heads.  

I have downloaded and installed the latest printer driver available on the Canon site which seems to be the latest and also supposedly works with Big Sur.

If I allow the printer to manage colors, I can print, but then the color management is not right.

There appears to be a bug preventing the printer from understanding the photoshop print dialogue box.  I have done many many shut downs and restarts and am unable to get the printer to print from Photoshop.  Please advise.

Regards,

Lisa

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi.

See solution here: Solved: Canon color profiles not showing up in Photoshop - Canon Community

I had to do this to get the Canon paper profiles to show up in my Ps. I am running macOS 12.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

This is not what my problem is however.  I DO have a list of all my ICC profiles that I want to choose from. If I select Photoshop Manages colors, then the "print settings" button will not be accessible for me to make changes to it.  I can click on "printer manages color", make the settings changes and then switch back to "photoshop manages colors", but when I hit PRINT, the paper goes straight through without printing. I have reinstalled the printer driver many times already and it has not solved the issue.  Very frustrating.

Since it works OK for me on macOS 12 I am guessing it might be a macOS 11 issue or a local computer issue. I don't have a solution to offer. Sorry I couldn't help.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for trying!  

Lisa - Why not upgrade to MacOS 12 Monterey? The latest version is 12.2.1. Your computer is on the list of Macs that are compatible with Monterey. I would expect you will be able to Print from the Pro-100 with Photoshop -- I have done so with my MacBook Air M1 running MacOS 12.2.1 and my Pro-100.

Robert N.

Netvet007
Contributor

That is is my next option. However, I have read of a number of bugs in that OS as well and I need to decide which set of pronblems is worse. I use photoshop heavily and that is a problem with the OS at any version. It all worked great with Catalina and it is when I went to Big Sur that the problems started. I also tried to print from Lightroom and many ICC profiles won’t show up despite the fact they are inside the correct folder. Another known bug. 

Thought I would share my solution.  After MUCH agonizing and experimentation, including trying to print from my older laptop (running Big Sur as well), I decided to upgrade my desktop computer to Monterey.  I am sure I will run into glitches in other areas but for now, my printer/settings/ICC profiles and ability to print from LR and PS are all restored since the upgrade.  It's as if it was all a bad dream.  What is so discouraging and frustrating, is that there were likely many people experiencing this issue and it was never truly acknowledged by Apple that there WAS INDEED A SERIOUS BUG in Big Sur and they chose not to fix it, instead sorting it out in Monterey. My laptop probably cannot upgrade to Monterey but since I rarely print from that, it is not the end of the world.  So, for any future readers, it appears as though it wasn't any user error on my part but rather techno glitches with the combo of canon printer-Mac OS system-photoshop interplays.  Moving on now and sincerely hope I won't run into problems with the upgrade in other even more important ways.  

I updated my Mac OS to Monterey v12.1 and updated my Photoshop to 23.2.0 and now my prints using both my Canon Pro-1000 and my Canon Pro-4000 are not color correct, and both are showing completely different colors for the same image using the same paper type and the Canon ICC profile that is correct for the printer and the paper type using the "Photoshop Manages Colors" option when printing in Photoshop.  When I use the Mirage by Dinax plug-in to print from Photoshop, the colors are accurate which leads me to believe there is something going wrong wit the Photoshop update not recognizing the  ICC profiles correctly. 

I do not have that problem with my Pro-100. Try redownloading the Canon printer drivers and readding the printers That seems to sometimes correct printer issues. 

Another thing to try is to use the Canon Professional Print & Layout plug-in. If that prints correctly it would imply it’s not a printer issue. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements